News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1957 Coupe Deville--New Owner in UK

Started by Kurt Wrebel, July 15, 2009, 03:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim thomas

KURT Welcome to the CLC   I have a 1938 La Salle Model 5027 COUPE With OPERA SEATS that6 I  purchast in 1967  Not being a "tin-bender" or Painter i did  the manchical first iinstalled '47 Cadillac engine in it. Whild I  think of it did you have the engine running whenj you acturated the 'wiper"switch?? I  beleive that car had vacuum wipers. again  I hope you have as much enjoyment from being a member as I Have had.  Jim

Joe

Quote from: derbydrifter on July 15, 2009, 03:53:04 PM
Hello Kurt,

I bought a 57 coupe de ville last year and have had a few issues with it so i'm beginning to find my way around it.
I also live in the UK and am a member of the COCUK. If you want to chat re the car contact me at jocakery@busstop76.freeserve.co.uk

Best of luck

Kurt Wrebel

Hi Jim,

Your 38 La Sallle sounds great. With regards my wipers, no I didn't have the engine running, but I will try them again as soon as I get it running. I'm waiting for some new ignition parts to arrive and an oil filter. I'm only going to run the engine long enough to warm the oil up and drain it off, because it's like black sludge and heavens only knows how long it's been in there. The car has been imported to the UK from Kansas, and it's obviously been stood for quite a while.

I'm really enjoying being a member of the CLC. I've had some great feedback from some great guys. Having the experience of others behind me takes a lot of the anxiety out of restoring a Cadillac. And I'm looking forward to being able to help others with my experiences.

Kurt

Walter Youshock

Order a pan gasket set.  Drop the pan and clean it out!  MOST of that sludge will get into the pump and the lifters and everyplace else BEFORE it is filtered.  These cars have a different filtering system than modern cars. 

Also, drop the transmission pan and change the filter.  Chances are, the trans fluid is like Jell-O.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Kurt Wrebel

Hi Walter, Thats great advice. I really thank you for it, and I'll be sure to do just that...Kurt

Walter Youshock

You might also want to disassemble and clean the oil pump as well.  That could be all gooped up.  Plus, you don't know if a rattle snake crawled down the oil filler or some kid dumped stones or sand in there...

You'll find out when you take down the pan!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Walter Youshock on July 21, 2009, 09:43:07 AM
Plus, you don't know if a rattle snake crawled down the oil filler
You'll find out when you take down the pan!

Well, Walter, that's a possibility I wouldn't have thought of, but I guess a lengthy bath in dirty oil would eliminate any danger of being bitten.

Walter Youshock

One would hope!  You don't want all that crap going through your lubrication system, though.

My '57 sat for 25 years with everything in it.  The "oil" turned to a waxy tar and the trans fluid looked like Dippidy-Doo! 

With everything drained back to the pan (don't forget all those years of condensation), throwing clots like that will clog up the pump, the drains and the lifters would be starved.

YIKES!!!!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Kurt Wrebel

What's your opinion on flushing oils. Is it worth using on old cars like this or does it do more harm than good? I know some say that it does clear gunge but also loosens deposits that come off into the oil, blocking things up, even when the new oil is put in. I'd have thought the answer to that would be to do a series of short period oil changes. Or even keep flushing and keep changing for a while, while monitoring what comes out.

Kurt....

Walter Youshock

One old trick was to drain the oil (provided it wasn't crud like this most likely is) and pour a gallon of kerosene in the filler tube to flush out the pan.  I've never done it and don't plan to.

Part of the regular maintenance on these cars was to drop the pan at least once a year.  Oil is a lot different today than it was in 1957.

I would clean out that pan and the filter canister, get the car running and change the oil every couple 100 miles until you feel comfortable that it is OK.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Kurt Wrebel

Yes, I've heard of that old trick. I once new a guy who put diesel fuel in the engine and drive up the road and back before changing his oil. But, like you, I don't intend to try that either. I guess that sump's got to come off. The only reason I'm hesitating is because I once had to take the sump off my 1970 Coupe Deville, which I know had that massive 472 in it, but it involved chocking the engine up off its mountings for clearance, removing a lot of steering gear and also the timing cover, with all its seals. Quite a job! but if it has to be done, it has to be done. Better to spend the time now than the time and money later.

I'm waiting for my new trolley jack to arrive and then I can check the sump job out. Meanwhile...anyone taken the sump of a 47 Coupe Deville with the engine in the car?

Kurt....

Walter Youshock

Yes!  I have!

Unbolt the idler arm at the frame so you can move the steering linkage.  Then, unbolt the pan.

I HOPE you got the Shop Manual for this thing.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Kurt Wrebel

That sounds simple enough, thanks again Walter. Unfortunately though, no I haven't got  a manual for it yet. I've been so busy sourcing other parts to get it through it's Ministry of Transport Test. But discussing this with you has reminded just how important getting one is. So I'll get on the case. I suppose it'll have to come from the States. Any tips?

Kurt...

Kurt Wrebel

Oops! In the email before last, I meant 57 Coupe Deville not 47. Were we taliking about the sump on the same car Walter?

Otto Skorzeny

Check ebay. Those shop manuals are always for sale for around $30US
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Walter Youshock

No problem--we know it's a '57.

This topic is getting rather Technical now, so, I'm moving it over to the Tech forum.  There's a lot more traffic and info over there.

Have you contacted other CLC members in the UK?

BTW:  On their 1957 visit to the Colonies, Betty (QEII) and Phil rode in a special bubble-topped 1957 Eldorado Seville!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

35-709

"BTW:  On their 1957 visit to the Colonies, Betty (QEII) and Phil rode in a special bubble-topped 1957 Eldorado Seville!"

Please!  A little respect, it is Liz not Betty!
;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Walter Youshock

Maybe if her last name were Taylor.  Davis went by "Bette" and her real name was Ruth.  And she played Betty I a couple of times.  Even shaved her head for the role--TWICE!

All in the Family!

And who could forget the reign of Margo Channing?

Wasn't that a late '40's or early '51 or '52 Cadillac that Bette Davis and Celeste Holm got stuck in the snowstorm where Margo spilled her guts?

As for stars and Cadillacs--well, that's a whole other thread.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: derbydrifter on July 21, 2009, 03:31:31 PM
Meanwhile...anyone taken the sump of a 57 Coupe Deville with the engine in the car?

Kurt, I recently removed the oil pan from my '56 de Ville. Basically, it's almost the same, even if the car/frame are different. You will notice that the 2 nuts at the front are not easy to get at, but it can be done. You will have to remove the starter motor, the cover in front of the transmision and both screws maintaining the idler arm on the RH frame rail to lower the steering linkage.
Clean also the inside of the oil filter canister; usually nobody is doing that and the sediments in that canister are as hard as concrete.
The windshield wipers are fun on these cars...There is a vacuum pump under the oil pump; I let rebuild that vacuum pump on my 3 cars; it was a waste of money: above 60/70 miles/h, they stop working...Consider them as a safety measure not to drive too fast when is't raining!
Good luck!
Roger
Switzerland
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Kurt Wrebel

Thanks, for the info on dropping the sump, Roger. I've already cleaned out the oil filter canister. When I got the element out, which wasn't easy - it didn't want to budge, I found an old rag under it; amazing. I wonder how long that's been there. I've got lots to do before I tackle the wipers, but I'll let you everyone know how it goes.
Kurt...