News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

WTB: 1938 cadillac 60S grille

Started by Scott Kraemer, November 13, 2009, 12:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Kraemer

i am picking up a 1938 cadillac series 60S in a couple of weeks and it is missing the grille. i know these are hard to find and expensive, but does anybody know of one for sale? any condition will do. the cheaper the better. also in need of the headlights and riser trim for them.
thanks. scott 586-344-5621
"Every idea spawns another idea. Therefore no idea is bad." -SLK

47 series 62 sedan

PhilT

I'm sad to say I have a 1/2 set of the uppers and a vary nice Chrome Top Bar, however my 38 is a 6119.  I know they are differect - How much, I have no idea...  60S Owners ?  Is it possible to modify or use the ones from a 6119???

Phil

Chris Bryant #19358

Hello,

The 6119 60 Series grille is not the same as the one used on the 6019S although they look very similar. The 60 series grille is taller and narrower than the grille used on the 60S 6019. The wider and shorter grille on the 60S has 17 bars while the 60 Series has 18 or 19 bars. Sure about the bar count for the 60S.

Even if you have to buy the bars separately, that is a good idea beacuse there are probably others out there. Just take a measurement of the width and you can't go wrong. Study pictures - there were only five different moulds that were used to make the grille. The top plate is unique, the very bottom piece that goes on the lower chin of the radiator housing is unique, the vertical bar is unique, the two bars under the top plate are unique and the rest are identical only cut short to match the curve of the fenders where they attach to the radiator housing.

Google "Images" on the Internet specifiying "1938 Cadillac 60S" and study. Go to our very good database by Yann Saunders. The link is posted on our home page.The Cadillac Master Parts list 1939-1946 has an illustration of the 60 series grille that will show you how it all goes together and parts numbers for all grille pieces. Don't be fooled by the individual parts numbers for all the 60S grille bars because, as I say, only certain bars or plates were unique.

I hope all this helps,

Chris Bryant