News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Admiral Blue Paint for 1937 LaSalle

Started by Mark Lowery, November 10, 2009, 01:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Lowery

Hi All,
I'm still hoping that someone has done a re-paint on a 37 in Admiral Blue (code 21, Dupont #242-50534) working off of some original paint.  I know there is always the "Auto Color Library" option, but as best I can tell from talking to them, they are just working off of 70 year old color chips.  I just don't think that is as reliable as using a portion of the original paint on a panel that has not been exposed to sunlight. 

An example of an area that fulfills that criteria is the rear fender under the taillight gasket.  That is where I found a perfect sample of the original color on my LaSalle 5019.  Unfortunately that color was Peruvian Gray, and upon viewing an almost perfect example I concluded that is about the only color I would not want to re-do the car in!  I'm thinking that the model 5019 at the bottom of page 265 in the Van Gelderen/Larson LaSalle book is Admiral Blue and from looking at the original formula it certainly seems that Admiral blue would be the darker of the two blues offered that year, Admiral and Briarcliff Blue.  If I have that wrong, somebody please speak up! 

While on the topic of colors:  Does anyone have a firm take on the color for the pin striping that came on Flare Red wheels?  What I'm wondering is if the factory ever characterized the color w/ at least a name; yellow, gold, cream etc.

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Mark: I have an original master body parts list covering the color combinations offered for the body and wheels from 1935 through 1948. It gives the recommended wheel colors to go with a body color. Some colors for wheels where offered in a standard color or with an optional color for that wheel.  In no years ,other than 1948, was there any mention in my parts book of the pin stripping color used for a particular color wheel. This note appeared under the 1948 wheel colors. "Use XMP-516 Luprite Pale Gold Bronze for wheel stripes except on combination No 1 with black wheels on which use 4-115 Argent. The strip color that I have seen on original Cadillac wheels during that time era has been what appeared to be a light gold or what looked like beige. This beige could have been faded Gold Bronze.

Mark Lowery

Bill,
Thank you very much for the prompt response.  Though the pin stripes on my wheels did seem to be kind of a cream color, I have long suspected that it was a faded gold.  Unless I hear otherwise from another CLC member, I think that is what I'm going to have applied to mine.  I will be using the smaller hub caps and trim rings, so the pin striping is actually quite noticeable. 

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

buicksplus

I have a 37 LaSalle that I am painting Admiral Blue.  It was not originally that color so I had nothing but the paint chips to work with.

From the chips, you can see that Admiral Blue is a non-metallic blue.  I spent quite a bit of time looking for modern colors that I felt matched the chip reasonably well.  I ended up with a 2001 Volvo color,  PPG #17156  called "Marineblau".  This is probably Swedish for Navy Blue.  This color is available in base coat clear coat and also single stage enamel and urethane.  It is a very dark blue with no metallic. (note, almost all modern blues are metallic, this Volvo is a rare exception)

I have painted most of my car with this, and I think it looks great, quite in character with cars of this era.  I cannot compare it with the original, though mine looks a lot like the chip.  I'm not too worried, I have gone to quite a few CLC shows over the years and have yet to see an original Admiral Blue car.  I have seen quite a few dark blue Cads and LaSalles, but most are metallics that look completely wrong to me.  If I do see one, it will probably be a repaint and who knows if the shade is correct.

Another option would be to try Ford Washington Blue.  I believe some formulas for Washington Blue have been published, I would check some Ford V8 or the AACA forums for info.  Washington Blue is also very attractive non-metallic blue, but I think it is lighter than the Admiral Blue.

Getting a color with a modern forumla is a big plus.  It will allow you to get touchup paint in the furure if needed.

Good Luck!

Bill
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

Otto Skorzeny

Can you post a picture of your car buicksplus? I'd like to see what that blue looks like.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Mark Lowery

Quote from: buicksplus on November 10, 2009, 03:37:38 PM
I have a 37 LaSalle that I am painting Admiral Blue.  It was not originally that color so I had nothing but the paint chips to work with.

From the chips, you can see that Admiral Blue is a non-metallic blue.  I spent quite a bit of time looking for modern colors that I felt matched the chip reasonably well.  I ended up with a 2001 Volvo color,  PPG #17156  called "Marineblau".  This is probably Swedish for Navy Blue.  This color is available in base coat clear coat and also single stage enamel and urethane.  It is a very dark blue with no metallic. (note, almost all modern blues are metallic, this Volvo is a rare exception)

I have painted most of my car with this, and I think it looks great, quite in character with cars of this era.  I cannot compare it with the original, though mine looks a lot like the chip.  I'm not too worried, I have gone to quite a few CLC shows over the years and have yet to see an original Admiral Blue car.  I have seen quite a few dark blue Cads and LaSalles, but most are metallics that look completely wrong to me.  If I do see one, it will probably be a repaint and who knows if the shade is correct.

Another option would be to try Ford Washington Blue.  I believe some formulas for Washington Blue have been published, I would check some Ford V8 or the AACA forums for info.  Washington Blue is also very attractive non-metallic blue, but I think it is lighter than the Admiral Blue.

Getting a color with a modern forumla is a big plus.  It will allow you to get touchup paint in the furure if needed.

Good Luck!

Bill
Bill,
This is the reply I have been waiting for!  Called my body shop and am having them get a quart of Marineblau so we can spray it on some panels to get a feel for what this will look like.  I would assume you have a copy of the Van Gelderen/Larson LaSalle book.  If so, do you agree that the sedan pictured at the bottom of page 265 is the Admiral Blue?  The Touring sedan (5011) above on the same page seems to have a metallic cast and that plus being much lighter has always made me think that it was Briarcliff blue. 

I agree that metallic paints on these cars just don't look appropriate for the era, even though there were a few metallics available.  Curious as to what color wheels you will be using?  I realize that Flare Red was not a listed option for blue body colors in 1937, but the sedan at the bottom of 265 is an absolute knockout w/ exactly that combination.

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

buicksplus

Mark:

Yes, I think the car on pg 265 is Admiral blue.  But printed pictures are not necessarly accurate, there are lots of subtle changes that occur in the printing process.

I am including a picture of my car under restoration.  The cowl and floors have been painted here.   I have found pictures taken in the shop look completely different depending on the flash.  Under shop light, a casual observer would say the car is black -- until they look at it more closely.  But a flash picture looks much bluer.  I have the fenders and doors painted now, I think the MarineBlau is great but try it yourself and see what you think.  There are some other production blues to choose from, though not many non-metallics.

I have not decided what color to paint the wheels yet.  I like the red ones in the LaSalle book, I might try that. Don't know if that's really a legit combination, I like to stay with original combinations if I can.

Bill.

Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

Mark Lowery

Quote from: buicksplus on November 10, 2009, 09:06:46 PM
Mark:

Yes, I think the car on pg 265 is Admiral blue.  But printed pictures are not necessarly accurate, there are lots of subtle changes that occur in the printing process.

I am including a picture of my car under restoration.  The cowl and floors have been painted here.   I have found pictures taken in the shop look completely different depending on the flash.  Under shop light, a casual observer would say the car is black -- until they look at it more closely.  But a flash picture looks much bluer.  I have the fenders and doors painted now, I think the MarineBlau is great but try it yourself and see what you think.  There are some other production blues to choose from, though not many non-metallics.

I have not decided what color to paint the wheels yet.  I like the red ones in the LaSalle book, I might try that. Don't know if that's really a legit combination, I like to stay with original combinations if I can.

Bill.

Bill,
Just got back two components that were painted in Admiral Blue (AKA Marineblau) and I am very pleased w/ the color.
One curious effect that was noted by the body shop (Bella Macchina in Oakland) when shot w/ the single stage PPG CLV, and not clear coated, the color appears to be deeper.  When the same finish receives a clearcoat topcoat, the color
appears a little lighter w/ almost a greenish cast.  All other considerations aside, I think I will stick w/ just the single stage enamel as I really like the color better.  I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this effect on either dark blues of PPG paints in General.

Also, are you [Bill] going to clearcoat the exterior when you get to that portion of the refinishing?

Mark L

buicksplus

Mark:

I have already used basecoat/clearcoat on the exterior and single stage urethane (PPG Concept) on the cowl, floor and insides of the body panels.   I also experimented with some of PPG's cheaper Omni brand for some interior panels and got similar results.

I really can't see much difference between any of these paints, though my car is in the shop and shop lighting is not the best.  When it is all done, only the basecoat/clearcoat will be visible on the exterior.  If there are subtle differences in the colors, it won't be obvious to anyone looking at the car.

The important thing is to like the color you pick.  Note that the car in the LaSalle book is likely a repaint, who is to say it has the correct Admiral Blue paint?  If you paint your car Marineblau and you park it next to mine at a CLC show, everyone will say hey, that color must be Admiral blue and we'll set the standard...

Good luck and enjoy your car, I think the blue is great.  I think I have seem some Volvos with it, I like it much better than the dark metallic blues that are out there.

Bill
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700