News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Bulbs for 1951 Cadillac (62 Series)

Started by ferdinard, December 26, 2009, 04:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferdinard

Is this list correct for all the bulbs for a 51 caddy?  My car has is still 6 volt, If there are more please list them.

*Headlight = 6006 Seal Beam

*Front Turn Signal/Fog Lights = 1022

*Front Turn Signal/Fog Lights = T55

*Brake Lights = 1034/1154

*Rear Turn Signals = 1034

*Backup/Reverse Lights = 1133

*Dome Light = 82

*Dash Lights = T55

*License Plate Light = 63

*Trunk Light = 63
F. Crawford

JIM THOMAS CLC#15000

FERD.
      One thing  i've learnd is to replace  ALL the bulb when one goes bad .     you can keep the goodones for spares.   Congrats on keeping the 6-v system. jim

Doug 22747

There's a small (55)? parking light bulb in the fog light housing. There's also a small bulb for the trans indicator below the horn ring; high beam indicator, radio dial & glove box (55s I think).  8-volt is an option for quicker cranking, you don't have to change bulbs, but you'd have to get the regulator adjusted.   
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

J. Friedman

Years ago I installed an 8 volt battery in a daily driven '51 Oldsmobile.  Yes, it started easier, and though the small bulbs did not seem to be affected, the headlight sealed beams would only last a few months.  I ended up going back to a 6 volt battery after rebuiliding the starter with new field coils, cleaning up all the ground points and replacing the battery cables.  It subsequently started well. 

I did the same to my frequently driven 6 volt '49 Cadillac when it began having starting problems, including the installation of a thick positive battery cable, and since then have not had any starting problems.  On the other hand if a car is not driven much at night and the headlights are not used very much, 8 volts may be the way to go if there are starting problems.

35-709

There should be no problems with starting on 6 volt cars if the electrical system is maintained properly, which sometimes means just making sure all of the grounds are tight and clean.  Going to 8 volts can be a troublesome/bothersome band aid, masking the real problem which will ultimately just come back.  If you are going to the time, trouble, and expense to go to 8 volts, spend the same amount of time, trouble, and expense (or less) to get the 6 volt system to where it belongs.

Having said all that, switching to 8 volts was never the question in this thread.

Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2