News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1976 Cadillac Mirage Pick Up

Started by Charles D. Barnette, February 22, 2010, 12:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on February 24, 2010, 10:49:34 AM
How does the tailgate work on those Mirages? I don't see a handle.
Probably like a Ford, where you have to reach over the top to raise the handle?

Bruce.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

What kind of Ford has the handle on the inside? I guess maybe the Rancheros because it's not the trucks.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on February 24, 2010, 11:30:40 AM
What was his reserve, Geoff?

Reserve was something like $40,000 at one point!
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Jim Thompson

There is one sitting in a field here in town right beside the interstate. Really good body on it and the blue paint is still there. Think it belongs to the guy who owns the car museum. Been out there for a long time.
1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

Charles D. Barnette

See the beautiful 1976 Fleetwood Brougham Castilian Estate Wagon owned by Mike Miner in the March 2010 issue of The Self-Starter, page 5. It is of course a "sibling" to the 1976 Mirage. Charles

Kerry Lange

I came across a '76 Mirage at the Goodguys show in Scottsdale this past Saturday. I was interested enough to take a photo, and noted that it appeared to be in excellent shape. I seem to recall the price to be in the low 20's but can't say for sure. I would gladly post a photo, but can't figure out how to. The phone number is not visible on the for sale sign, so it will not be to anybody's benefit anyway.

TonyZappone #2624

I beg to differ about Cadillac sanctions on vehicles other than the funeral car industry.  I had a 56 Hess and Eisenhardt wagon.  It was built as a short sill cowl on a series 62 chassis, and fabricated in the H&E shops in Rossmoyne, Ohio.  Bill Hess was still alive when I had this car, and he provided me with the original blue prints, etc. for these cars.  They were then sold through Cadillac dealerships throughout the US.  Cadillac provided H&E with alll the other components they needed to builld these cars:  side rear window glass from A body wagons, tailgates from Chevrolet Nomads, window moldings from 60 Specials, etc.    Mr Hess was very indignant when I asked him what the car was customized (from).  He said "I don't customize cars----I build custom bodies"
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

R Winchell

Oddly enough, the tailgate opens with an actual Ford ranchero handle on the inside...... When I removed mine during restoration, the Ford part number was as clear as day on the back side.  One other point, is that the full Coupe de ville rear window is installed in all Mirages except that some of it is blocked off by a piece of custom cut sheet metal to make it look smaller and proper with the new bedline. 
The Caribou trucks could not be ordered via any Cadillac dealer where the Mirage could, Caribous were built without the rear window. Most of Evels trucks were Caribous.
The pix that Charles posted do look like a Mirage to me...
                  Bob Winchell

Rod Dahlgren #19496

I have always thought about having one of the pickup conversions... Even have a nice 75 Coupe DeVille sitting here that I could build... BUT another project I dont need.. SO today I get a call from a guy that has a 1976 Mirage and wants it to go to a person that will DO something with it... So---  OK guys, what would YOU do?   Was a NICE "driver"... He was a busy person and just never drove it.. It sat INSIDE for a lot of years, then did what we all regret... He parked it outside so he could park his NEW TRUCK in the garage.... NO the vinly top is gone, the paint oxidized.. Interior still maybe OK... A couple tires down, but it is running..

OK, So there ya have it..... Comments???????????
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

Davidinhartford

Unless it is a basket case any Mirage or Caribou is desirable enough to restore.   Have any photos for us?

Otto Skorzeny

How long outside and in what part of the country? It might not be too bad.

If it's decent, pick it up cheap and do a little maintenance on it and then use it for going to Home Depot.
fward

35-709

I have wanted a Mirage for several years, do not know if I will have the money when a decent one becomes available.  So far money has always been an issue for me because it was elsewhere, right now I am all tied up with my '35.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Yes, they are really great looking.. Darn, I already have MANY "great looking" Cadillacs.... And far too many projects....  We Shall See...
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?