News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Vacuum line to wiper switch 55 Cadillac

Started by Bob Kielar, January 31, 2010, 05:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kielar

I got my wipers working thanks to all for the help. ;D My next question is: How many vacuum line/ lines go to wiper switch? Thanks again
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Roger Zimmermann

Just one for the washer and, of course, the cable to operate the wiper.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bob Kielar

Thanks Rodger:

That is what I thought but when I pulled the switch out to free it up I saw two openings where the vacuum line is hooked up just wanted to make sure I did not break something off the other hole must be a vent.
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Roger Zimmermann

Yes Bob. When you push on the button to wash the winshield, you interrupt in fact the vacuum in the washer "motor" allowing the strong spring to push the piston down. The other opening is there to allow the athmosphere pressure to come in.

Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bob Kielar

Thanks Roger:

Hope others will benefit by this post in the future.  ;D
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Roger Zimmermann

My answer was wrong regarding the washer action, my description applys to 56-58 washer. On the 55 model, the command to the washer pump is electric, the washer action itself is vacuum.
Strange that nobody corrected me!

Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101