News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

radiator rplacement- coolant bleed

Started by dudley peters #25677, September 13, 2011, 08:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dudley peters #25677

Gentlemen,
  I am in the process of replacing the radiator on my 67 CDV 429 w a/c.  I would like to know if there is a process for bleeding the air out of the engine cooling system (not just the radiator).  Once I get it all hooked up and ready to go, I would like to make sure the air is out of system.
please advise.   
  Greg, I'm hoping to hear from you too. 
Dudley Peters 25677
Dudley Peters

Dave Shepherd

Fill the cooling system very slowly, run it till the t'stat opens, fill as necessary, jack up the front of the car, cap off let it sit over night, that should bleed any residual air pockets, make sure the heater is on during this process also.

dudley peters #25677

Mr. Dave,
Thank you for your response   
Seems easy enough -     will do
Dudley Peters 25677
Dudley Peters

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Dudley,
A little patience is all you need as stated above.  I have never had an issue "bleeding" the air from my '66.  With an empty cooling system I slowley add enough coolant (proper proportionate mixed) with the engine off to a level where I can see coolant at less than 6 inches below the radiator filler neck. I then start the engine and again slowley add coolant as the motor warms up to the proper level.  I let the engine run for 5 or 10 minutes (after the thermostat opens and the engine is warm), shut it off, and then when cold, check the level with that marked on the radiator.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Edward Kenny

A dumb question, perhaps, but I must ask:

How do you know when the thermostat has opened?

Kurt Kjelgaard

Ed,

Visually the coolant starts flowing in the radiator - you can also feel the temp rise
on the radiator hoses as water start circulating.
Kurt Kjelgaard
1957 7533X Imperial Sedan
CLC #23671

dudley peters #25677

Greg,
Thank you very much for the response and the information.  I will act accordingly.

Dudley Peters   #  25677
Dudley Peters