News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Oil bath air cleaners

Started by craig, September 23, 2007, 11:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Koser

Quote from: Walter Youshock on January 21, 2012, 02:07:39 PM
I converted my '57.  You have to break the spot welds between the lid and the element, obviously.

I used an STP SA3588 element.
Got it & thanks Walter.

kkarrer

Craig,
     After you've discarded that mesh housing and dropped an after market paper filter in place you'll probably find that the butterfly hold-down bolt is too long to clamp things together properly.  This was the case with my '41.  To solve the problem I made a big spacer from a piece of 3/8ths plywood (using the new filter bottom as a pattern).  I just cut out a big "O" and then cut a gasket to fit the bottom of that wooden "O" as I didn't want it to rub on the bottom of the inside of the old oil bath housing.  I put the gasket in, then the wooden spacer and then the new filter followed by the lid and the butterfly hold down screw and the spacing was just right.  All Cads does something similar, but it will cost you $150.  If you get the Fram filter you'll want to spray the top of it black (it's orange) before you install it.  But the better idea is go with the NAPA 22055 as it is black already.
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe

gene harl

Has any one did this to a 50 or 51 with a 2 barrel  carb ???? what element did you use???    Gene Harl    CLC 22406

kkarrer

Gene,
    Yes, I did it on my 50 coupe.  I'll have to see if I can find the filter tab from the box.  I think I kept it.  I just took the air cleaner housing down to the parts house (minus the oil bath guts) and matched it up.  If I rmember right I had to make a thin spacer from from some gasket material, but it  all worked out fine.
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe

cadillacman

Did the same on my 49 and I found a K&N that fitted so need to check just wash/oil and a lot less hassle and mess.
Chrome is my favorite color!

Kelly Hansen

I have a pair of 1955's and a 56 Fleetwood,  I pulled the original filter out and put in a FRAM CA 3725, have been running that in my 55 for years. They are about 1/8 taller than what would be perfect, but twist the wing nut down firmly they seal fine.

I've read on here over the years some more complicated way, this is simple and works.

Whit Otis, 1188

To Ed re 1948 air filter conversion.  Use the same element(s) as mentioned by everyone.  I believe I used the NAPA Gold element in my 48-60S and it worked just fine.

Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger