News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1956 Fleetwood Carpet

Started by Kelly Hansen, January 29, 2012, 06:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly Hansen

Last fall I found an very nice origanal 1956 Fleetwood,  a not so perfect repaint, but to good to redo.  The interior is a very remarkable original, not a hole in the seats,  not a hairline crack in the steering wheel.

The carpet does have some fairly thin areas.  There are lots of places that sell carped sets, I'm wondering it anyone can tell me where to find the closest thing to the original carpet, ie. weave, color.  Also does anyone know if the same pattern fits the series 60  as the Series 62 Sedan De ville.

And  just a funny story I was born in 1956, have always wanted a 56.  I bought  55 Coupe De ville in 1993, then acquired and restored a 55  sedan,  next a low mileage original 1965 limo,  next a 67 Coupe De ville a daily driver, which I can enjoy without depreciation.
So the day before my 55th birthday  totally by accident I run into this gorgeous Black 56 Fleetwood 54K original miles at a car show.  Drove it on my birthday, and bought it the next day.   All of my friends said it was just meant to be.  I live here in Utah,  there is a group of 4 of us that meet informally and go to many local shows,  some of the greatest guys you would ever meet. 

Sorry for long story,  any direction or advice on the carpet would be greatly appreciated.

Thank, Kelly

Caddy Wizard

I think the pattern is known as "Daytona" and is a very tight square weave.  SMS sells it I think.  About $500 for a sewn carpet set, ready to install.  I have a 56 FW also and it needs new brown carpet.  I just haven't pulled the trigger on this big expense (and I am waiting until I can solve my water leaks at the front doors before I do the carpet).
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under cosmetic resto)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1949 S6107 Fastback Coupe -- soon to be back home with me...

Walter Youshock

I think the original name for it was "Roxpoint".  It has no pile to it--it's like a smooth woven mat, right?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Caddy Wizard

I think so.  I think the stuff is a very, very short loop, not a cut pile.
Art Gardner

Kelly Hansen

Thanks to both of you for your help.   500 bucks, had no idea.................

Art it appears you have a Fleetwood and a Sedan,  does the same pattern fit both.

I checked some other places with I did my series 75. 1965 Limo many places advertised having all the patterns,  sure a different story when it comes time to order.   It was not SMS though, I think they are a pretty top notch place.

Caddy Wizard

I have a 1956 60S (Fleetwood sedan, not a limo).  I also have a 1950 S62 sedan. 

I believe the carpet set is the same in 56 for both the 60S and the S62.  But I am not 100% positive on that.
Art Gardner

Roger Zimmermann

From the "56 Specification manual":
Eldorado: Rayon filament loop pile with metal and rubber mats front and rear
"62" series: Nylon fine loop pile
"60" Special: Rayon filament loop pile
"75"sedan: Kinkomo rubber back
"75" limousine: Front: Nylon fine loop pile, rear: Kinkomo rubber back.
Optional on rear compartment: dyed Mouton
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

jaxops

Yes- go to "SMS" and don't buy the junk off of the InterNet.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

okccadman

I got the carpet for my 56 Series 62 Coupe from SMS and acouldn't be happier.  I plan to use them for my 56 Fleetwood Sixty Special and Fleetwood 75 Limousine when the time comes.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Kelly Hansen

Thanks guys, when I do it I;ll go with SMS.   Bought cloth from them before and was very happy!