News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1958 Fleetwood--should I buy timing chain

Started by Cadillac Nut, February 11, 2012, 04:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Nut

Hi,
My '58 Fleetwood has the original timing chain.  Car has at least 116K miles.  The engine compartment is disassembled down to the block.  Should I replace the timing chain as long the engine is this far disassembled?  I'm thinking I should.  If so, is this a good one:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-1958-Cadillac-Timing-Chain-49-58-/220933126626?hash=item3370a3f9e2&item=220933126626&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Thank you,
Garrett Baker

Terry Wenger

Garrett:

With the engine that far apart, put both the timing chain and gears in. Better now than pulling it apart again later!

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Eldovert

I would replace the frost plugs as well. Having the engine out is a perfect opportunity to do the regular maintenance and wear items.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

The Tassie Devil(le)

Replace the Freeze Plugs (Welsh Plugs) with Brass ones.   Don't use the steel ones as the brass ones will never rust out.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadillac Nut

Thanks guys!   Where can I find brass freeze plugs?  So far have only been able to find steel ones. 

Regards
Garrett Baker

Dave Shepherd

Try Rockauto, or any Marine engine supplier, use the dimensions of the core plug to match them up.

Cadillac Nut

Thank you.  Does anyone know where they are located?  I could not find that info in the shop manual and don't have much experience with freeze plugs.

Garrett

Dave Shepherd

Hmm, they are along the sides of the block seen from under the ,there are some on the ft and rear of the cylinder heads in some engines, if you have not seen this what is the concern in this case?

Cadillac Nut

Hi,
I don't have the engine stripped down that far.  Valve train and heads are still on.  I'm thinking I will wait on doing this.  I want to get the engine running and see how it runs before taking the engine down that far.  I have not seen it run yet. 

Thanks,
Garrett