News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

DASHBOARD COLOR

Started by Chasmann, February 18, 2012, 07:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chasmann

Hello Art.For this hydro-dip the dash must come out for this process they actually dip it in a solution.Art if you have some spare time do a google search for Hydro-Dip you will find the process pretty amazing.I hope it is somewhat reasonable so I can get it done if not I just might have to get it painted Art does the dash come out in one piece.Also what is the degree of difficulty.I have already removed all the trim around the windshield. ThanksCharlie Murray
1949 SERIES62 4DR SEDAN                                      1936 SERIES 60 4DR TOURING SEDAN

Paul Tesone

Charlie - just to give you a little added information to help in your decision : The work Hydro-Dip did for my 37 four door convertible (above pictures and below) consisted of the center dash , windshield surround and window trim for each of the four doors . The bill came to a little more than $1200.00 . Certainly not cheap , but I'm VERY pleased with the results and the professional way in which Scott , at Hydro-Dip , helped me . I would do it again in a heartbeat ..... Paul Tesone ...CLC#6876

Chasmann

Paul.Very nice.I think it is fairly priced.Its not easy on the pockets restoring these cars.But if you are happy with the work its well worth it in my opinion.I will let you know how I make out.Thanks Charlie M.
1949 SERIES62 4DR SEDAN                                      1936 SERIES 60 4DR TOURING SEDAN

Paul Tesone

Charlie - I can't answer your questions to Art as to the degree of difficulity of removing the dash , or if it comes out in one piece ; but , it does have to come out . Scott will then mask off the areas that are not to be wood-grained before dipping . I had him extend the woodgrain a little out onto the surface which needed paint, so that my painter had enough space to feather edge the dash paint up against the woodgrain .Fortunately , that transition took place under a piece of trim, at a right angle , or under the dash where it couldn't be seen . As for cost , I don't remember exactly how Scott came up with a price . I think it involved pricing by the square inch . But it did include sending me multiple samples so I could see the final product . Paul Tesone ...CLC #6876

Caddy Wizard

I would estimate a few hours to remove the dash.  Main wiring harness is coupled to a dash harness near the e-brake.  Reconnecting all of the wiring is a pain.  Defroster box behind the dash could be damaged in the process.  Overall, this job scares a lot of people off (which is why you see so many painted, plain dashes).

Plus, to do it 100% correct, there is more than just the dash and the door garnish moldings to re-grain.  The vertical divider between the front door glass and the vent window is wood grained also (on the inside only, obviously). 

One thing will lead to another.  Next you'll want to find the correct Burr Brown Metallic paint for the steering column, the horn ring, and the vent covers.  Then there is the hunt for Chaco Brown paint for the other bits in the interior.  The fun never ends...

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under cosmetic resto)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1949 S6107 Fastback Coupe -- soon to be back home with me...