News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

'76 a/c compressor rebuild?

Started by Hankk17, July 05, 2012, 08:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankk17

does anyone know if there are rebuild kits available for the '76 A/C compressor?  my SDV's A/C was working until I messed with it like a fool.. it was and still is grinding like it's going to seize up, so I decided to give it a shot of oil.  Since then the compressor won't disengage and its now blowing hot air instead of the nice icy air it was before.

I thought perhaps I overfilled it so I've done a few quick purges by hitting the shrader valve and letting the coolant out for about 30 seconds at a time but the problem is still there. 

Either way, the grinding is still there so I'm thinking a rebuild is in order..
Wherever you go... There you are

Hankk17

R Schroeder

No problem. I typed  " A6 compressor  " in Google. There may be more places.

Hankk17

FYI I corresponded a bit with one of their sales guys and he tells me that if a compressor is seized, they won't work on it.. presumably it'll cost more to rebuild than it would to buy a new one.

so, I did some searching and found one on Amazon of all places.. for $154.00.  I'm expecting it sometime next week.

I've also heard from several sources that the A6s are now a discontinued item - so get em while there's still stock I guess.

-Hank

R Schroeder

It probably will be shipped without oil, so make sure you have the correct amount.
Roy

Rob Troxel

I too picked one up off Amazon for my 68 Cadillac, rebuilt 4 Seasons unit.  Works great.  Cost was under 200 bucks  shipped, so I'd shelved the rebuilding of the old one. 

I have also used Classic Air listed above for many other parts.  Top notch help from real people who know A/C there.