News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Why do people continue to bid on heavy items with pickup only clearly specified?

Started by Eric S. Maypother #15104, August 09, 2012, 11:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Why do people continue to bid on heavy items from across the country with pickup only clearly specified?

For the um tenth time I had someone from across the country bid on a Cadillac hood.

Add clearly specified both in shipping options and in description pickup only, no shipping.

What are these people thinking? Even if I could ship it wouldn't you want to know what the shipping would cost BEFORE you bid on something? Maybe for $1,000 I could ship it across the country. And it's a Cadillac hood, I could see if it was a Ford or Mopar hood, but I thought Cadillac people would have more sense.

Now when I went to re-list it eBay won't let me use the wording or similar to: Do not bid if you have no intention of paying for it or no way to pick it up.

Also eBay won't allow me to use the immediate payment required option on a pickup only part.

Here's the last ad I had that someone from about 3,000 miles away won bid, I think I made it clear I won't ship item.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370636374130?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649#ht_536wt_934

I think I'll start using the eBay Classifieds for this and other heavy parts.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

waterzap

I usually sell big stuff on Craigslist. Usually only people close to you will search on Craisglist.
Leesburg, AL

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Thanks, I haven't had much luck on craigslist either, mostly time wasters who say they want the item then you wait around all day for no shows. Or people wanting to buy my "item" and send me a check for extra money to pay shipper and send them back the extra money.
1990 Cadillac Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

Why?   Well, some people just can't read, or don't want to read.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Steve Passmore

Iv bid on many items in the US where sellers have obviously downloaded a couriers program that automatically works out a cost according to zip code, couldn't you do something like that Eric?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

gary griffin

For items like that I have used u-ship.com, they have a dispatch service on the internet that connects to all of the small independants and fill in loads for the medium sized companies. I bought a whole truck interior including seats, dash board , windshield and the small stuff like seat belts and floor mats in Detroit and had it shipped to Seattle for a couple of hundred dollars as I recall. Also Legion logistics at 859 384 1726 does the same thing on probably a better level.  The drivers are cooperative and diligent and are paid in cash upon delivery.

Sometines the truckers use these services to fill in a load and they do it at lower than their regular rate and the drivers will load and secure the loads.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Hi,
Thanks for info. It's not that I don't have a shipping calculator, I clearly state no shipping and people still bid without even asking if I'd be willing to ship it or what it would cost. I guess they could have u-ship or something get it but I think I would have to be responsible for crating it up and everything.

To crate it up and everything seems like a lot of work and expense for a part I'm only going to get $50-$100 for before eBay and paypal fees, and it's not a rare hood, I'm sure people living thousands of miles away could find one much closer.

I've had a few people come to my house to pick up hoods and trunk lids in the past I had on eBay.

I may be wrong but I though if a buyer wants to use u-ship it was up to them to make the arrangements to have it picked up and delivered.

I've shipped plenty of Cadillac parts from emblems to bumpers and fenders and have the shipping calculator set up for those items and their either sent USPS or UPS.

As Bruce said some people simply don't read, I've had a number of people complain an item wasn't as described when they never bother to read the description before they bid.
1990 Cadillac Brougham

gary griffin

As a buyer I have used Legion Logistics and U-Ship and the drivers take care of everything. Usually they use pads and straps to keep things in order instead of crating which is costly. They take great care because they deliver directly to the customer and get paid in cash when they deliver. I worried about a windshield they shipped but the driver worried more and it was i a blanket in the cab of his truck.

To the shipper it is just that whey will receive a phone call to arrange pick up time and place.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver