News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Freeze plug leaks on 68 Eldorado 472

Started by Forgiven1989, September 03, 2012, 04:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forgiven1989

Does anyone have a picture of the 472 engine showing the location of the freeze plugs?  I noticed fresh anti-freeze leaking under the engine on my 68 Eldorado.  Thanks.

TJ Hopland

Are you sure its the plugs?  They are difficult to access on the one side and impossible on the other side with the transmission in the way.   There are plugs in the ends of the heads that are part of the cooling system.  I'm not sure on 68 but later there was a heater hose connection on the back of the right head that is often missed when hoses are replaced.   The intakes don't have any coolant in them so no possible leak there. 

The frost plugs are pretty much the same as any other engine from the era, 3 on each side of the block.  I don't seem to have a great picture but you can see them in these.

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Forgiven1989

Thanks for the pictures TJ.  The leak is hard to locate from just looking briefly.  I will have to take it in to a shop and let them look.  It appears to be somewhere in the front but not near the water pump.  You can see the drip coming down from the motor mount I think.  Are the plugs in the heads easy to access?  Thanks.