News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

need tire and rim help

Started by kedso, October 05, 2012, 04:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kedso

I went to the tire store to buy new tires for my 55.  one pair had tubes in them and the tire guy can't get new tubes and tubless valves are too small to fit the holes.  What are the rest of you using for rims on your 50's cadillacs? 

LeRoy DeVol

I don't know which tire store you went to, but i went to Discount Tire and they were able to get tubeless Bias tires from Coker and they had the valves for the wheels as-well. My car is a 1947 Caddy and they told me that almost all older cars that had tubes can be converted to tubeless tires with no problem. Make sure you get radial white walls and do a search and get the proper width for the whitewall.

Lee DeVol 

kedso

I went to PEP Boys their tire kid told me the rims were unsafe with tubless tires, because there was no inner retaining lip.  He sent me to NAPA for new inner tubes - the NAPA guy told me NAPA did NOT sell inner tubes because they twist inside radial tires and blow-out.  Next I am going to a junk yard for some later model rims.  White wall HA at this point I'd take anything that was not dry rotted.

76eldo

A kid at Pep Boys is not the person to advise you on tire choices for a 55 Cadillac.
You have to go to a real tire store or call someone like Coker Tire to get the correct info and then make a decision.

In my opinion Pep Boys is ok for wax, oil, and maybe even a battery but not much else.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Brian is correct. The average tire store "jockey" has NO clue about older cars. Tubeless tires became standard equipment in 1955. Find a old school tire shop & get some tubeless  tires installed. NEVER let anyone talk you into using tubes of any kind in a tubeless tire.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

60eldo

what size are your tires,,,i have some bias ply wide white wall tires i can sell u used
Jon. Kluczynski