News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Power Steering 1953 Cadillac

Started by Les, March 24, 2013, 01:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

I have a 1953 Cadillac and developed a power steering leak (seal failure) on the steering input shaft. I even put Lucas Oil in the system but still leaked, but not as bad. I had to remove the entire steering box assembly to replace this seal. After removing the faulty seal it was marked #7817133 which is a correct GM seal. I could not find this seal anywhere locally. However I finally discovered a cross reference seal (SKF #8660) which looked virtually the same with correct dimensions and could get it locally. It worked out, now no leak!!  My shaft seal surface was in very good condition which made the job much easier in the end.  I just wanted to share this info....

Best Regards,
      Les