News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Simple sun visor repair!

Started by mod, April 03, 2013, 05:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mod

My dad has a 76 Eldorado Convertible with 5,000 miles on it, (Yes 5K) and the passenger sun visor with a mirror won’t stay up meaning it keeps falling down. He told me someone he knew Googled this problem last year and told my dad that this is a common problem. I took a look at his sun visor and found a very simple solution. My dad is very picky about everything. The repair could not look like a repair when completed not to mention he did not want any additional damaged caused during the repair process. I am sure anyone that owns an older car that is completely original can understand his concerns.

With that said, I loosened the screw that clamps the visor onto the support shaft and removed the sun visor. I found the shaft was spinning inside the swivel hub that allows the visor to swing and move around as designed. No matter how tight the screw was to the shaft the shaft itself was not designed to move which was allowing the visor to simply fall down and swing freely. The solution was to restore the shaft and swivel hub as one non-moving part at the shaft and swivel hub connection point. I drilled a small hole through the outside swivel hub and into the shaft below using a metal drill bit. Afterwards I cut down the length of a chrome nail used to nail down a standard threshold used between vinyl and carpet flooring. I applied fast drying glue designed for metal and tapped the modified chrome nail into the hole I drilled into the swivel hub and shaft. Problem solved in less than 1 hour!

Detail man just picked up the car to get it ready to sell. I took pictures of the repair and will have them on my website soon. I am a remodeling contractor in Shoreline WA. Pictures will be listed under “Miscellaneous Projects” on my website:

I hope this information is helpful to others with the same problem!
www.modconstructionllc.com