News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

On a 1958 Cadillac was the data plate installed before the car was painted??

Started by johnregrus, April 20, 2013, 01:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnregrus

During the 1958 Cadillac's assembly was the data plate installed on the firewall before or after the car was painted?
My restoration shop left the data plate on and painted over it when painting the firewall body color. Somehow it does not look correct to me. Thanks   
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The data plates were left "in the white" and not painted over in the 50's.  At
least I don't ever recall seeing an original or restored car that way.  My 1955's
data plate was unpainted aluminum. 

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Alan Harris CLC#1513

My 1950 and 1951 plates were unpainted aluminum. My 1940 plate is unpainted aluminum.

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

C.R. Patton II

Hello John

Wonderful to read you are improving your Cadillac.

All 1958 Cadillac models had body plates installed after the paint process. Please allow me to suggest that you acquire a Class 16 Authenticity Manual which could serve as a guide from Bill Anderson, a renowned restorer. Also ask an infinite amount of questions BEFORE an error occurs. We are here to assist you.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Jon S

My original unrestored purchased new - unpainted . . . and the firewall on the Versailles Green car is body color while the AC cover (non-AC) is painted black from the factory . . . not body color.  I've seen too many painted body color.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT