News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Under dash FM receiver for AM radio.

Started by Gene McCormick, April 25, 2013, 01:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene McCormick

These little under dash FM receivers were common on ebay but since ebay has so much auto spam they hard to find even
if listed. I know the FM units work only well on Cadillacs that are transistor AM. Its a lot simpler to have under dash FM unit
and easier to install then a used am/fm car radio. I would like to buy from a member or help finding one on ebay. Gene

52Cadillac

Hi Gene,
I also am searching for a similar item. I was gonna send radio out to add fm, but wouldn't use it a lot. So I'm thinking a plug in device. I've a cigarette lighter, and one of these may work for me. Easy to throw in glove box when not in use. Don't know about how to hook up the sound or speakers yet. I'm still researching. Your right these aren't easy to find on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/eBay-Motors-/6000/i.html?_vxp=mtr&_nkw=car+fm+transmitter&LH_PrefLoc=1

Regards, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Jay Friedman

I found several for sale on ebay using the search words "fm converter".

If none of those work out for you, I have a used one I'll sell for $30.  jaysfriedman@yahoo.com
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

52Cadillac

Jay, is that the kind that hooks into the antenna slot? Does it mount hidden? Speaker hookup?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

76eldo

The old FM converters installed with a connection to power and with an inline antenna adapter.
It would convert the signal to FM and the AM radio needs to be tuned to either the top or the bottom of the dial, I forget which. The sound comes from the existing radio and speakers. 

But, you control the stations with the converter so typically they are mounted and visible so that you can change stations which might not be what you want.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jay Friedman

In general, the way it works is that the converter is sending an FM signal to the AM radio.

As 76Eldo said, they have 3 connections:

1. A power wire which should be connected to the ignition switch;
2. A female anntenna jack, into which you plug the cable from the car's antenna which previously had been plugged into your AM radio;
3. A male antenna cable coming from the converter which you plug into the female anntenna jack on your AM radio.

It is mounted under the dashboard and is visible.  Use a metal mounting brackets of some kind, which you'll have to fabricate yourself (unless you buy a new one with mounting brackets included), as it grounds itself through the bracket.

The converter has a button or switch to switch it from AM to FM play.  To play FM, you set the AM radio to usually 1400 (on some models to some other station) and press the button to the FM position and the system will play an FM station.  The sound comes from the AM radio's speakers.  The converter has a station selecting button and an FM stations dial.  Sound volume is controlled through the AM radio's volume control.  To switch back to AM you press the AM/FM button on the converter.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org

Renato

I have an AM transmitter to my 57. It works from cigarette lighter and mp3 player. I can use my original radio with the original speakers.
R. Bognar

52Cadillac

Renato, I've seen those on eBay as well. Just pull out and throw in glovebox. Inexpensive also. Did you mean FM?
Mike
SemperFiFund.org