News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

retainers front fender script 1957, door lock ferrule

Started by rich neary, August 03, 2013, 07:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich neary

Front fender script on my 57 is loose. Looking in from headlight I see one retainer missing and others loose. I'd like to have part in hand before I take headlight bucket out to secure.
Anyone have or recommend a source for retainer (s).
The post on script appears to be a pin type, no threads. Not sure if it is original or aftermarket.
Also need ONE gray plastic ferrule for door lock button
Thanks
Rich
richneary@aol.com
Rich Neary
Statesville, NC

1957 Series 60 Fleetwood
2013 CTS
1955 Jaguar XK140MC  FHC
1965 Deville Convertible
1998 Jaguar XK8 Coupe

Walter Youshock

If it's the original gold anodized aluminum script, the pins are very delicate.  On my car, the pins were bent over with no retaining clips.  They weren't designed to be taken off several times.  Other than that, you can get the clips that slide over the posts (if there is enough post left) from most any paint supplier.  Personally, I glued mine back on from inside the fender so I could get them off again without breaking any more of the pins.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

rich neary

As a follow up...I removed headlight bucket allowing access to script.
My script has plastic retainers and only two were present. Also the script should have four pins, mine had only three with the forwardmost one missing.
I rummage through my "stuff", found a heavy duty plastic straw from an aerosol can of grease. Cut a short piece and used it to replace the missing retainer.
Rich Neary
Statesville, NC

1957 Series 60 Fleetwood
2013 CTS
1955 Jaguar XK140MC  FHC
1965 Deville Convertible
1998 Jaguar XK8 Coupe