News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1959 trim code question

Started by Hawkeye999, December 23, 2013, 02:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye999

I'm just starting my first restoration project, a 1959 DeVille sedan, and need to figure out the correct paint colors for some interior molding, two-tone steering wheel and dash (my apologies to the purists for having to use a dash cap on this one, but it's my first project and I would like to stay married while pursuing my lifelong dream to restore several more classics).  The exterior paint code is 20 (Breton Blue) and upholstery trim code is 43 (Blue Camden Cloth and Blue Leather).  I'll include a photo of the trim plate but don't think there is anything on there to tell me what I need.  THANKS to all of you long-timers for helping out a newbie!

Thanks,

Jim

1959:  THE year for both man and machine......

MY 59

Hi Jim,

look forward to seeing your progress mate :)
I just did the interior in my 1959 Sedan Deville also, interior code 45
I got the original fabric etc from SMS auto over there in the USA :)
pricey but perfect, I would recommend them to anyone

best of luck

Dave
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

C.R. Patton II

Hello Jim

Welcome to the CLC Forum!

Nice car. I would implore you to invest some time perusing our Restoration category to learn how your 1959 Cadillac  predecessors systematically traveled through their projects. They will provide parts suppliers and avenues of relief that will benefit you.

Also consider joining our club and obtaining the appropriate manuals to assist your travel. I look forward to meeting you and viewing your car at our CLC Grand National in Lake George.

Ask a lot of questions before you make decisions. We exist to assist.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Matt Innocenzi

Jim, thank you for your post.  I restored a '58 SDV, a '62 Fleetwood and currently a '60 Series 62 coupe with the resources and help from this club, so you could not have turned to a better organization.  The benefits of joining are limitless so please consider.

As for the restoration of your interior, call SMS in Oregon and give them your interior Code and let them know it is a SDV.  They will send you free samples of the fabric.  You can get the patterns from photos or from your existing materials if they are in decent condition.  Keep in mind the Series 62, DeVille, and Fleetwoods all used different materials and patterns.

Merry Christmas and good luck on your project!

Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

Hawkeye999

Thanks to Matt, C.R. and Dave for them warm welcome.  I actually had the SMS samples in hand already even before I drove the Caddy from Pennsylvania to its new home in Iowa.  ;D The issue remains, however, regarding the matching interior paint, and so far the best I can do is hold up a piece ot the interior painted metal against a paint chip chart as displayed on my computer screen.  Using Ditzler colors, my best guess is Georgian Blue Poly (DDL 12002) or Argyle Blue Poly (DDL 11780).  That is only a guess though, and the part actually looks darker than than either of those but not as dark as Dustan Blue Ploly (DDL 12016), which is really the only other option on the Ditzler chart (and I'm not even sure that the chart relates to interior colors also).  Obviously this is not a very reliable method at all, and I do want to get the paint correct for Pete's sake................. Does anybody know what other folks do to match interior paint color?

Thanks again,

Jim 
1959:  THE year for both man and machine......