News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

59/60 Pitman Arm Recall??

Started by 76eldo, January 20, 2014, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

Brian:

Good luck with that! I tried that approach at a northern Virgina dealer in 1989 when I was still working at NHTSA, and they laughed, but agreed to try and find one from a used parts source. As recounted in my article, what I wound up with was another bad one. I think they were amused to have my '59 60S in their shop for a few days.  Maybe if you found an old time small town dealer somewhere you might find one (and who knows what else?)
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

76eldo

Just a funny thought.
I wouldn't leave any of my cars in anyone's shop for a few days.

If I need one ill get it done right in my own garage.

Really appreciative of all the great info provided.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

MY 59

Quote "If I find that I have a "bad" one, I wonder if my local Cadillac dealer would still replace it?  What a great PR stunt!"

I did try that just for a lark! I was on live chat with Cadillac and a few emails went back and forth, they were very helpful but could not source the part, worth a try though :)
Cannot recall where I got my new one from, but it was of a higher grade metal, and visibly heavier built.
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

David Greenburg

David:

I'm guessing that what you have is the replacement arm made by Rare Parts. The "good" and "bad" OE parts are indistinguishable except for the four digit number (or lack thereof).  The replacement arm that I saw from Rare Parts is noticeabley "chunkier" than either of the OE arms.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

MY 59

just checked my receipts and cannot find this particular one. however I did do some looking around at the time and did not go for the cheapy stuff.
here is the link to when I replaced the pitman arm, I was unfamiliar with this type of sprung 'compression' steering tube. good design though, everything else I have worked on the arms simply bolt through with tapered fittings.
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=125803.msg238746#msg238746
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane