News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Quality of NEW 54-55 master cylinders?

Started by Caddy Wizard, August 05, 2014, 10:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

Does anyone have any experience with the new (not rebuilt) master cylinders that Kanter Auto Parts is selling?  How is the fit and overall quality?  I need to decide between a buying new one and rebuilding/resleeving the original...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

craig-o

I replaced mine with one from Kanter 2 years ago when it had a catastrophic failure (fortunately as I was pulling her into the garage!)  Of course, it happened just 3 days prior to an out-of-town funeral I was attending and the car NEEDED to be there for the family.  Kanter had them in stock and could ship overnight, so I gave it a shot.  As I recall, everything having to do with the casting fit perfectly (supply and out-feed lines, and the mounting holes.)  However the threaded input shaft was too long and I needed to cut that down to get it to fit properly; not difficult at all.  A few hours and I was back on the road.

In that case, Kanter salvaged my ability to make it to the event, and I still have the old one to rebuild if I ever want to.  I wouldn't hesitate to use this part again.

Craig Rodenberger
San Jose, CA
1955 Coupé deVille
1955 Jaguar XK140 OTS