News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

The life of Gerhard Koepplin

Started by James Gray, December 15, 2014, 02:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gray

My Father-In-Law Gerhard Koepplin has passed away. He was a great man in more ways than one. I am sharing this with you because of his love for our '42 Caddy series 6269. He wanted to read every post and response I had made. He was upset that we were putting more time into his medical needs than the car. He was a Mercury man through and through, but "Nothing was better than a Caddy!".

A brief history on Gene:
Gene was born Gerhard Koepplin in Elgin, ND on March 14, 1923 to John Koepplin and Katherine Lippert of Strutgart Germany, who migrated to Elgin in 1917. He was 1 of 7 brothers and grew up on a farm. They grew various crops dependent upon the predicted weather pattern of the coming year. It was then that they discovered changing the crop from year to year generated a more desireable yield.

Gene enter the military in 1943 as an assistant gunner. He entered Normandy on the second wave. His gunner was killed immediately. Gene was the gunner and assistant gunner for the next 9 months on the front line in Normandy and Austria. Upon learning of Gene's fluent German, he was utilized as a translator with an advance Pathfinder unit which moved ahead of the infantry to towns and farms warning residents of the impending fire fight moving their direction.

Gene survived the war to Marry Mary Jane and have 2 children. Gene and Kristie. Kristie is my beautiful wife. Kristie and her Uncle John Koepplin are all that remain of this Koepplin family. John is 86 and planning to move in with us come spring time and Kristie can not have children.

Just thought I would share. Now after a brief pause, I will keep my promise to Gene and bring this vehicle to it's full glory while keep it original as it currently is.

Thank you,
Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494
1942 Cadillac Series 6269

gary griffin

Great story James,

I am sure you will have even more pride in your car when you remember how much your father in law loved it.

He lived a full life and was a great service to his country and he loved Cadillacs, that is about as rich of a life that anybody can have.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

James,

R.I.P This nation is lucky and greatful to have had people like him and the raest of the "Greatest Generation"

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

James Landi

An eloquent and deeply felt narrative for a man of courage and commitment... I hope that you share what you've written with your family and friends.  James Landi

Bill Young

Very Sorry for Your and Your familys loss of a wonderful Member of the " Greatest Generation " He was an American Hero. All the best with the Cadillac.

Davidrubin

Sorry for you loss, thanks for sharing.
Dave