News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Couldn't Resist...

Started by joeinbcs, December 24, 2015, 08:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeinbcs

I've  been looking for some white floor mats for my Regent Maroon '68 Eldorado.
Perusing Craigslist, I came across a '72 Eldorado with white mats.  I called the guy selling the car, who happened to be in Dallas, and tried to buy the mats. He wasn't interested in my $200.  offer.  As I was passing through Dallas anyway, I thought I'd swing by and have a look at the car.  Not really my favorite year (I'm a '67-'70 fan), but the car was oddly compelling in person.  I guess its the fact that it is a factory original slick top with 59K miles and mostly original paint that attracted me.  Anyway, long story short, I made a deal.
Car is pretty decent, but I need to do something about the steering wheel.  It has a cover which looks OK, but I'd like to find a nice steering wheel.  I guess I may have to send it to Gary if I can't find one.  If anyone knows where I can find a good one, please let me know!
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

76eldo

That car is beautiful.  In my area you never see any 71-72's available unless they are really beat and rusted.

Nice find.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Gene Beaird

So you DID buy the mats!!   ;D

I can see the attraction, that's a nice one.  Good catch.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

TJ Hopland

What color is the interior?  The dash and such?  Green is what I had seen the most with the white. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

joeinbcs

Interior is red and in very good condition except for the steering wheel, which is covered.
I don't have the car here yet, but my hauler is bringing it Tuesday.  I haven't removed the steering wheel cover, but I know the wheels from these years usually fail.
And, yes, I did get the mats...they cost a bit more than I had planned though...
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

TJ Hopland

Ah, now I see why you thought maybe he would part with the floor mat. 

walt chomosh #23510

Joe,
  Awesome Eldo! I believe that Cadillac is the same one that I had made plans to view....but decided to pass because of a number of disappointments I'd had searching for that "special" Eldo.(I finally bought a 09 DTS instead) The red interior lifts the car up,and the lack of a vinyl top makes the car VERY desireable! (EVERY Eldo I looked at had excessive rust under the vinyl top!) I hope you enjoy your AWESOME Cadillac!....walt...tulsa,ok

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Slicktops are very rare in this area, and so the cars look kind of naked. But they are lots nicer than the rust buckets with the vinyl tops. I was thinking/dreaming last night about the trade I made years ago. A guy with a '56 Fleetwood stopped me on 38th street in Indy and wanted to swap even up for my 1941 6127 coupe. I'd had it a while and needed a better family car, so we made the swap.

However, I was driving the '56 the first day I had it on my day off around town and found I had a transmission problem. The guy had conveniently forgotten to tell me that he had a major leak in the transmission. Later I found a box that had held a case of fluid in the trunk. I ended up at AAMCO the rest of the afterrnoon.

I think you lucked into a nice set of floor mats. Or at least "backed into" the deal. Merry Christmas.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Scot Minesinger

The no vinyl top is a huge plus to me.  If ever I was repainting a vinyl top Cadillac, would strongly consider removing it, which is not inexpensive.  Beautiful car!  The no vinyl top make the car look more massive and imposing.  Next time I want another classic, will tell my family needed to buy it for the floor mats.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Barry M Wheeler #2189

In re-reading my post above, I was sure that my telling the story of the '56 Fleetwood had something to do with the thread. Evidently not. In any case, my congratulations on your purchase again, and for coming up with another good reason to tell your wife why you bought another car. If the floor mat story doesn't work, give it to her as a delayed Christmas present.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

joeinbcs

LOL...thanks for all the interest and comments!
I'll probably take this car to GN in Las Vegas.  I was planning to take my '68 DeVille Convertible, but this one may actually be the better choice for that venue.
Hope to see you there!
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

At least the mats came pre-installed.
Jeff Rose
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Rich S

It looks like a beautiful Eldorado! (I'm especially fond of the '71 and '72 models.) Congratulations and best of luck with your new classic!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

66 Eldo

Something always interesting (to me) about low optioned Cadillacs. This one is unique. It has from what I can see only A/C, AM FM 8 track, right outside mirror but it has LEATHER! Curious if it was ordered new by the original owner like this or a "Spec" car the factory would make? This one for budget minded buyers.

I can see your attraction to this car especially the slicktop. Congratulations!

TJ Hopland

No cruise?  Split bench seat?

joeinbcs

No split front seat, no cruise.  But, It does have an 8-Track tape player...LOL.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

joeinbcs

Something always interesting (to me) about low optioned Cadillacs. This one is unique. It has from what I can see only A/C, AM FM 8 track, right outside mirror but it has LEATHER! Curious if it was ordered new by the original owner like this or a "Spec" car the factory would make? This one for budget minded buyers.

Also has six-way power seats, power door locks, tilt/telescope wheel, door edge guards, soft ray tinted glass (can't believe this wasn't standard?), front and rear floor mats, as well as climate control, leather and right side mirror.   
The original owner ordered the car from the Cadillac dealer in Brownwood, Texas, and kept it there until he died a few months ago.  The owner's heirs traded the car in on a new Lexus. 
I wish the car had cruise, but if it has been ordered with a vinyl top, it wouldn't have interested me.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432