News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Barn find 37

Started by Steve Passmore, June 11, 2016, 03:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Passmore

Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

harry s

I'm not sure what to say about that car. Looking at it from the point of a restoration it is yet another example of cost vs value, definitely upside-down. I guess since the major modifications are already done rodding or rat rod would be the way to go. Good luck to whoever buys it.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

cadillac ken

someone's gonna have 6 figures in the car when it's done-- even as a "modified".  Better plan on using it and enjoying it.  Not sure there's a market for it even if it's "rodded" professionally. 

Steve Passmore

Well its OK if someone can do most of the work themselves. V8 engine are plentiful and the interior can be made. I had no interior in my 37 Fleetwood at all and hand made everything, mind you nearly 20 years ago. I don't know what he means by its been channeled? doesn't look low or anything but its well worth saving in my view but not as a rod, that would have little value.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bobby B

Quote from: harry s on June 11, 2016, 09:43:27 AM
I'm not sure what to say about that car. Looking at it from the point of a restoration it is yet another example of cost vs value, definitely upside-down. I guess since the major modifications are already done rodding or rat rod would be the way to go. Good luck to whoever buys it.   Harry

Harry,
Hi. Everything I seem to look at these days you're easily upside down in, no matter what you buy it for. I want to know who's doing the work so cheaply, is the quality of the work any good, and who's losing all the money at these auctions, when a car sells for 30K and you know damn well that the owner has at least double that into it?. Man....times HAVE changed! I need a new Hobby...... :-[
                                                                                                                                                                  Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Steve Passmore on June 11, 2016, 10:55:37 AM
Well its OK if someone can do most of the work themselves. V8 engine are plentiful and the interior can be made. I had no interior in my 37 Fleetwood at all and hand made everything, mind you nearly 20 years ago. I don't know what he means by its been channeled? doesn't look low or anything but its well worth saving in my view but not as a rod, that would have little value.
Steve,
Channeling is an old hot rod trick to lower the body by cutting the floor pan out & allowing the body to drop down along side the frame. Then rewelding the floor pan in. It makes for real uncomfortable seating. Read that as legs straight out. Lots of fancy fab work to reverse it! I think you need the car. LOL!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

cadillac ken

I agree with STEVE.  Not sure the owner understands the technique of "channeling".  Because if that car has been channeled it was a whole lot of work for what appears to be a stock looking car.  Not to mention, channelling a fender-ed car like that is a boatload of work.  Kind of like the difference in chopping the roof on a traditional coupe versus a fastback 39 Ford, Chevy, or (God forbid) a 40's Cadillac Sedanette.  I know.  I've done both.

Bobby:  I couldn't agree with you more.  When I got into this hobby 45 years ago there was no such term as "frame up" restoration.  It was a gentleman's hobby and nobody was building cars to take to auction.  You still probably had more in a car back then than you could recoup in the sale but seemed it was not the prime concern. Not many "flippers" back then.

Nowadays everybody is an expert.  Everybody believes what they see on "reality" car shows.  And too many have no idea what it takes to do a car correctly-- time-wise or money-wise.  It wears me out.

Is the car worth doing?  Sure if you have oodles of $$$ and time.  And of course if you only want to enjoy the car and have no interest in "flipping" it for a profit-- which of course you could never do.

I have owned my Restoration Shop for over 25 years.  I have all the metal shaping equipment, a machine lathe, a milling machine, and so on. We do our own upholstery and show quality paint.  And still I cannot for the life of me see how you make money buying, fixing up, and "flipping a car.  If there was, with all my expertise, equipment, and knowledge of the old car landscape, I wouldn't be working on customer's cars.

Maybe I'm missing something?

harry s

I looked at that car as close as the pictures would allow and don't see where it was channeled. Even without the channeling I agree it would take a bundle to get the car restored or rodded. I have a car just like it and in what I would call # 2ish condition. I have a pretty good idea of what it is worth and to get from barn find to that level would be very expensive. I can't even find someone to replace the top for less than $12K. I agree that the good old days of finding an old car and fixing it up doesn't make any sense financially. The alternative of buying a shiny example at auction is risky at best. I've had my '37 since '91 and don't plan on selling anytime soon.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Steve Passmore

And she still looks good Harry, a credit to you.    The car in question has been sold apparently. Lets hope its gone to a good home.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

tozerco

Looking at the photo of the front driver-side footwell (the one with the dodgy front seat sitting on something) some real heavy treatment has been done to something to get the floor or whatever it is up that high. The tyres are also well and truly buried up in the wheel wells. There is enough to do on these old girls without having to undo stuff like that. Sad really because this would be one very rare car.
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

John T. is right. Some major work has been done. I don't even think a rodder would put up with that arrangement.
How's everything in Oz. mate?
Cheers, Bob

Bobby B

Quote from: tozerco on June 13, 2016, 07:19:18 PM
Looking at the photo of the front driver-side footwell (the one with the dodgy front seat sitting on something) some real heavy treatment has been done to something to get the floor or whatever it is up that high. The tyres are also well and truly buried up in the wheel wells. There is enough to do on these old girls without having to undo stuff like that. Sad really because this would be one very rare car.

I'm no expert on that specific model, but the inner rockers do look WAY high and deep...Agreed as to why someone would do that to THAT car. :o

Quote from: cadillac ken on June 13, 2016, 11:13:41 AM

Bobby:  I couldn't agree with you more.  When I got into this hobby 45 years ago there was no such term as "frame up" restoration.  It was a gentleman's hobby and nobody was building cars to take to auction.  You still probably had more in a car back then than you could recoup in the sale but seemed it was not the prime concern. Not many "flippers" back then.

Nowadays everybody is an expert.  Everybody believes what they see on "reality" car shows.  And too many have no idea what it takes to do a car correctly-- time-wise or money-wise.  It wears me out.

Is the car worth doing?  Sure if you have oodles of $$$ and time.  And of course if you only want to enjoy the car and have no interest in "flipping" it for a profit-- which of course you could never do.

I have owned my Restoration Shop for over 25 years.  I have all the metal shaping equipment, a machine lathe, a milling machine, and so on. We do our own upholstery and show quality paint.  And still I cannot for the life of me see how you make money buying, fixing up, and "flipping a car.  If there was, with all my expertise, equipment, and knowledge of the old car landscape, I wouldn't be working on customer's cars.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Ken, Hi. I couldn't have stated it better. All 100% true plus some.....I would love to do another car or two before I can't do it anymore, but it really seems that it's a no win situation financially no matter what you do. In my younger years the mentality was to find the cheapest car possible to get the most out of it. Nowadays if you're going to restore something, you're better off spending the most you can afford, as far as what the car will yield return wise. Doing an over-the-top restoration on a low dollar car is just not in the cards. My E-type is a Pebble beach restoration that took me over 3 years to complete. Thank God they were so reasonable to purchase back then.  It was my everyday driver until I took it off the road to restore around 1989. Since they've gone through the roof, I honestly won't even drive it, or have the desire to drive it. The next step for that car is to be sold, as it's useless to me in that condition. I could have more fun for under 20K with a grocery getter. It's amazing how times have changed the "Hobby". I love cars, but just don't look at them the same way anymore with what it's become.
                                                                                                              Bobby  8)
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

tozerco

How's everything in Oz. mate?
Cheers, Bob
[/quote]

Hi Bob,

Like you we have an election looming though our "campaign" has, fortunately, only lasted nine weeks with 3 weeks to go! Bit of a health scare had me off work for nine weeks and now everyone is telling me I should retire. Love to get at the '37 a bit more so.........

John T
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi John,
I hope you're feeling better now. If you can retire, do it. Be prepared as you never get a day off. LOL! I haven't followed your election but I know you guys follow ours. It's getting pretty ugly!
I still wish you could have went to Wang. Have you talked to King lately?
Cheers, Bob
Getting back to that 37 C/S , it was a $75 car in 1958!!! People were still parting out Duesenbergs.
Bob

tozerco

Bob,

Haven't spoken to King since you two set me up with that phone call! Still trying to come up with a return shot!

JT
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

cadillac ken

Bobby:  Sounds like you still are having fun and that's great.  In my mind I have a Top 10 list of cars I've always wanted to own.  The E-Type is one of them.  I love the design and I love the sound of the straight six with Webbers. I passed on one I should have never walked away from.  Garaged kept, white and biscuit, 4.2 and It was a 1969.  It was many years ago, 1980 if I remember right,  and the guy was asking $4500 for it!  I didn't pull the trigger (even had the bank on board to loan me $3000)  and I regret it to this day. 

I'm with you, I have all the cars I want now (only 4 and 2 motorcycles).  I'm no longer looking to do anymore. Time to enjoy them, drive/ride them when I want and stop worrying about the next guy who's gonna get it when I'm done with 'em!

Cheers, Ken