News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1957 lubrication plate

Started by Paul Tesone, February 02, 2014, 01:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Innocenzi

Paul,  I can see why you are disappointed.  The tags changed a little bit over the years - for example, the location of the engine number changed from the top to the bottom of the plate, depending on the years.  It seems the one from McVey's is the later style.

I considered trying an old typewriter to put the letters on mine, but I can't get ribbon for it, as production on that ribbon probably stopped during the Reagan administration!

If you come up with any suggestions on getting the typed font on the tag for the engine number, I would love to hear it!

Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jon S

Quote from: Paul Tesone on February 07, 2014, 06:59:15 PM
Matt and others - I received the three lube plates that I ordered from McVey's ( see attached photo ). they are white all the way thru ; but I was very disappointed to find that the graphics were not correct . I'm assuming , of course , the the above two samples are authentic and accurate . That being the case , I plan on returning two of the plates and keeping one so I can do some research and find someone who can reproduce these plates accurately . Any suggestions will be welcomed . ... Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Paul -

Since my 1958 was purchased brand new by my dad in 8/1958, the tag is original and has never been removed from the car.

Jon
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Paul Tesone on February 07, 2014, 06:59:15 PM
  I received the three lube plates that I ordered from McVey's ( see attached photo ). they are white all the way thru ; but I was very disappointed to find that the graphics were not correct .
There was a change in that plate. If I'm right, the change was for MY 1960 (There was a notice somewhere in a Serviceman bulletin) and the reproduced lube plates are looking identical with the late style. I had the same experience some years ago.
The older style is, as far as I know, not reproduced.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J Kjerrulf

I'll take a picture of the factory lubrication plate of my 57 and post it here, unfortunately not for the moment.

Regarding the graphics if they mismatch I can produce and make public a 99,9% correct vector file at no cost for CLC members if anyone is interested. (When I find the hour & with sample serial#)
/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

J Kjerrulf

I can confirm that my Lube plate from 1957 appears to be identical with the 1958 one posted by Jon S.
My digits are less embossed, a bit darker in color but definately the same font. It happens that together the 2 plates cover the complete 0-1-2...8-9 so it would be fairly easy to recreate a correct vector file for any serial#for them.
/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

57 Eldo Seville

Paul,

The plate on my 57 is also identical to Jon's 58 plate.

Dave
Dave Morris
CLC#28497
1957 Eldorado Seville
2020 CT5-V

stzomah

Did you guys ever find a better supplier of Lube Plates other than Caddy Reproductions.  The style they are selling for over $50 is not correct for my 56.  I could use one but for the money, I'd rather the correct one.  Thanks
1956 Series 62 Coupe
owned since 1975