News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

73 Eldorado Parts and other

Started by kkkaiser, February 23, 2017, 03:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkkaiser

Hi again, 

Going through all the suggestions from my prior post on ac heater stuff,, and of course,, more came up,  so,  I called a guy here in town, he has a 73 eldo as well.  So,,i found the vent where the in car sensor is exposed to cabin air, mine had been removed, and the part apparently  pulled, so i have ordered another part.  I also order the ac manual from the gentlemen in south carolina hoping to get more figured out

then, while i was looking under the hood.  i noted,, several things.. .  I found some things that my car doesnt have, and i checked the service manual and couldnt find a photo so shot of it in the manual, so I am positing some of them, to see what they may be, and if i am damaging car with out these. 

One is a part, under the blower on the passenger side.  my car has  a antenna motor there, but his didnt,, he didnt have the antenna.  so what is this part and what doest it do,,

Two is a part on the opposite side, right behind the driver side wheel well, big round barrel looking thing,, again, mine doesnt have this.. what is it, what does it do and is it necessary

Three,, there is a round, space ship looking thing, attached to the block on the rear, more on the driver side.,, mine doesnt have, so again,, ????

then, behind the carburetor, there is a hose screwed in,, but right below, there are threads for another hose,, Now, i just dont know why a set of threads would be there if something wasn't supposed to be there.

I took out his glove box, and found an ac controller part, that is completely missing on mine,, i checked one of the parts sites, but they didnt have,, so i need an appropriate id of this,  its attached to the glove box, underneath and towards the front,,, i have th other part that is located towards the back.

Last ly, a part attached to fire wall, next to water valve piece,  his has all the tips covered with some sort of hose leading to different places,, mine is missing on of these hose attachments,, in addition, it has three things stamped on top,, they say,, hold, engage, and light  any thoughts??

Again,, I am trying to plod through this, but if i dont have a picture to go by, I am lost,, i can read about it after I know what it is,, so if anyone can help me on this,, i truly appreciate it, 

I think its pretty clear that my ac is or will need many more things,, so hopefully that manual will help

Sincerely,,

Kim

The Tassie Devil(le)

Picture No. 1 is the ALC (Auto Level Control)

Picture No. 2  is TrackMaster as in the first type of ABS.

Picture 3 & 6 is Cruise Control.

Someone else should pop in soon to tell you what the rest are.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

7gen

Specifically, part 3 is the servo. It works on a vacuum and pulls the chain you see to work the throttle based on more or less vacuum inflating or deflating the rubber diaphragm. The device in picture 6 is called the transducer. It determines the vacuum to the servo. Just in case you were looking in the service manual for the descriptions. The fitting that is missing appears to be coming from engine vacuum.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Picture # 4 shows a cap over the EGR location behind the carb.  What I see below the carburetor is some sort of spacer.  That is the device that the "extra" port is in.  It looks as though some modifications have been made to the car.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

kkkaiser

of all these parts...

which ones are absolutely necessary,, to me,, obviously, cruise control is not that important,,

i just was concerned that all these parts are not there.. car seems to run just fine... brakes work good,,

guessing auto level control is for the shocks??  keeps pressure to keep car level ??  is that correct.

tonight,, i did get the in car sensor in...have the hose attached to it, and need to find where it attaches next.. plus, it has a pigtail i need to find where it goes....,, slowly,,, but not so surely,, moving along,,

thanks for the help,

i forgot one pictre i think of the ac controller,, at least that is what it says on the part,, guessing that is an integral part of the AC system.  exactly what does it do?? 

I do think som things were done to the car engine when the motor was replaced,, i think the prior owner just told the shop get it running, lights, horn basics  for like parade car and high school prom or homecoming things,, but i am try ing t expand its capabilities back to more working parts,, points have been replaced with one of those new electronic systems,,  so that may account for some of the parts missing, he just didnt feel they were necessary for his needs...

so again, thanks for your patience and identification of these parts.. i am working through it...

The Tassie Devil(le)

The part with the AC on it could just mean AC Delco?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

Highly recommend you buy the 1973 Cadillac Factory Shop Manual and GM Fisher body manual for 1973.  Each is one volume, the FSM is about as thick as an old telephone book, the Fisher manual about half that.  These are on e-bay for low cost and will really help you with these questions, probably better than we can over the internet.

Since this Cadillac has "Trackmaster" braking (first from of ABS that first appeared in 1970!) option, it is likely a very highly optioned Cadillac, ordered as if money was no object at the time.

There are not very many modifications mechanically from factory that turn out that great, so where deviations did occur it may be best to put them back the way they were. 

How do you like your Cadillac so far?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

kkkaiser

i like the car a lot. i am hoping to run open air tours through yellowstone NP this summer,, if I can get some of these basic issues lined out.  Its fun to drive, and I use it almost as much as my diesel truck to run around town,,  I do have the FSM and the fisher body book.. I just dont know what some of the parts are.  and they dont always provides photograph of the parts I am looking for.  I am just not far enough along in my learning of parts to know them. 

again, if anyone knows that part that says AC  i would appreciate it.. its located under the glove box when the inside shell is removed..

TMoore - NTCLC

On that missing AC solid state box - check with Cadillac Tim - he can likely identify it, and will most likely either have one, or have suggestions on where to source replacements.  In most of my cars from the 70's, parts behind the glove box are related to Air conditioning control - not sure if that applies here - that box might be related to TrackMaster but I am not at all familiar with that system.

If I am reading correctly, some of these pictures are from your friends car, and I think that the TrackMaster tank is on his car, and not yours - so his has the option (pretty rare) whereas your car does not, so that is not an issue for you.

Not sure about the carb, but it does not appear original, so you will need to decide if that is important to you or not.  Original is usually better, but if you say it is running fine for what you need, it is up to you to correct it or not.

On the missing ALC compressor - check your rear shocks - you may find they have been changed to manual fill-shocks, or maybe gas filled.  Look for air lines running from the shocks and see if they go forward (towards the missing compressor) or if a schrader valve has been fitted somewhere so that you can manually air them up.

Keep asking questions, and pictures are very helpful -

kkkaiser

Yes,, you are correct,, the photos are of the car that HAS the parts,, mine does not,, i just didnt know if they had modified the car when they did the engine replacement, or if it never had he parts and if it needed them,, I wanted to try to get them,,

thanks for the help.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Ken,
The device the "AC" on it is a trackmaster electronic controller for the brakes.  If yours does not have on and it does not have the device shown in #2 then your car does not have the trackmaster (optional) braking system. If your brakes work fine the all your required components must be in place.  The only reason to reinstall an EGR (yours is blocked off and removed) would be for a strict emissions controls inspection.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

kkkaiser

ok,, thanks,, that will help,, another part i may not have to buy!!   

hoping to get this thing,, working,,

went out today,, to put up car top, and it wouldnt work,,, called convertibleparts.com.... he was nice enough to walkthrough a couple of test, and determined that one of the cables had pinched and the turning mechanism inside the cable either broke or twisted,,,...so hoping that is now solved too,,,  learning things quick!!!

Thanks again,,

TJ Hopland

On the carb question that looks like an adapter plate to fit what looks like maybe an Edelbrock performer carb?   That hole usually isn't drilled all the way through.  If you were going to hook something to it you would drill it the rest of the way to the size you wanted.  It would be used for something like PCV or maybe power brakes.

I have a 73 with the trackmaster but don't remember that box but its been a while since I saw that car.   Mine also had the theft alarm thing which I know had a module too.

Was that everything?   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason