News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Shocks for 83 Eldo

Started by Rick Biarritz, February 21, 2017, 11:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

Hi, All:

It's been quite some time, and that's because all has been well with my Eldorado!

Years ago, I had my shocks replaced. I don't even remember why, it's been so long.

The level ride does indeed still work. The new shocks are quality air shocks, and I hook up a compressor to fill them every so often.

However, I am not at all pleased with the ride quality; it's more like a monster truck than a Cadillac. Don't know why.

So, does anybody have any idea why this is? Should I go back to the original configuration? If I recall, the correct shocks are still readily available. Sure wish I could remember why I switched them in the first place.

Thanks, all...

Dave Shepherd

I seem to remember discussing this before relative to the rear suspension. Specifically, if the rear springs are weak then the air shocks have to be over inflated to compensate for low ride hgt. this creates a hard ride in the rear. If it is the front, the shocks could be too stiff or binding internally.

Rick Biarritz

Hi, Dave:

I think I actually did discuss this before. Let me go through my history and see.

I'm asking again, because the car is going in for a new exhaust and I figure I'd fix the ride at the same time.

Is there any way I can check the springs? Any test or procedure?

Thanks

Dave Shepherd

Rick, there should be a rear suspesion standing hgt measurement in the shop manual. If I remember correctly you would disconnect or deflate the air shocks when doing this. If those shocks ars pumped near the max, the rear will be very stiff.

TJ Hopland

What are you running for tires and tire pressures?   If you are running them in the 40's which is likely what the tires say for a max you will get a terrible ride.

There are not many options for rear air shocks for these cars and a lot of what is available appears to be older stock so they don't tend to last very long.   When they fail they just loose their damping or air holding ability which usually leaves you with a pretty bouncy ride and some funky rear bump steer thanks to that unique rear suspension design.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

I believe 79-85 E cars can all take the same shocks.  To stop the "boat roll" on
my 79 Eldo I did a lot, but the final thing was KYB gas shocks, KG4531 fronts. 

Although nobody seems to realize, I measured KG5573 as a perfect rear shock
fit.  But with no air adjustment, you would either need higher springs or air bags
in the current spring.  Bruce Roe

Carl Fielding

Rick , do EXACTLY as Bruce recommends. Install urethane air bags to tune rear spring rate , and ride height. Unloaded , run around 6 psi in the bags. Up to 25 with a heavy trunk load. Plumb the bags SEPARATELY  to isolate against lateral crosstalk and properly damped roll resistance and recovery. Urethane anti-swaybar bushings , if not heavier bars will help , too. After this , we need to talk tires. In short , for now , we old race car drivers and all-terrain cruisers regard tires as being the tunable part of our suspension. For in town slumming around in a fwd vehicle , low 30s psi front , low 20s rear if carrying a light load in the trunk. For highway speed , or enhanced handling on winding roads , on the front , go to max load bearing pressure specified on the sidewall (usually 36 psi for normal , cheap, unsophisticated, low tech tires , 44 psi for better , around 51 psi for best). Under these more demanding conditions, raise the rear pressures to high 20s to low 30s depending on load. ESPECIALLY for fwd cars I always recommend going to state of the art directional or asymmetrical, low slip angle tires , at least on the front end. You can bet your ears I am biting my tongue against another tire tutorial. Most of the guys and gals here have endured those diatribes ad nauseum. See if you can find these tire discussions held here, and pay particular attention to what Bruce and I have experienced. If you can not find my shameless rants, it will not take too much encouragement to stimulate an encore. 
                  Safe , comfortable cruising , my brother.  - Cruising Cadillac Carl

TMoore - NTCLC

This is timely -

I am becoming pretty frustrated with the Monroe and Gabriel replacement air-shocks.  It seems like I consistently get only 2 years out of them before one of the shocks develops a leak.  Yes, they are lifetime warranty products, but replacing them every couple of years is getting to be a pain.

On the 1980 Eldorado, I have replaced the rear coil springs with load adjusting springs, so that even when the shocks fail, the car still maintains a decent height, but on the 1979 Sevilles, when the shocks leak, the rear end sinks all the way down, making them practically un-driveable  until I replace the shocks.  Replacing the rear coils and stabilizer bushings was not a big deal on the Eldorado, but the Sevilles are leaf springs, and I have never had the guts to tackle them, nor do I know if there are suitable replacements or stiffer springs made.

I see that there are KYB rear shocks that are listed to replace the rear adjustable shocks, and those might be the way to go on the Eldorado which can maintain its height, but I do not believe there is any shock out there that will lift the rear of the Sevilles up to the correct height, unless they had helper springs, which I have not seen available.  I have just called the parts store to get another set of the Seville Monroe air adjustable shocks delivered, but I am not really looking forward to replacing them again so soon.

bcroe

Quote from: TMoore - NTCLCSevilles are leaf springs, and I have never had the guts
to tackle them, nor do I know if there are suitable replacements or stiffer springs made.

I see that there are KYB rear shocks that are listed to replace the rear adjustable shocks, and those might be the way to go on the Eldorado which can maintain its height, but I do not believe there is any shock out there that will lift the rear of the Sevilles up to the correct height, unless they had helper springs, which I have not seen available.  I have just called the parts store to get another set of the Seville Monroe air adjustable shocks delivered, but I am not really looking forward to replacing them again so soon.     

I had forgotten about the leaf springs; last time I saw any here was on
our 64 Mercury.  But a little checking says the 79 Eldo and Seville use the
same rear shocks, and probably the 76/78/78 Sev as well.  I never entirely
was able to deal with those leafs; guess they really needs a stronger custom
version assembled.  Bruce Roe

64\/54Cadillacking

Monroe Shocks are terrible for their reliability I've gone through 3 pairs of front end shocks using Monroe's in my 94 Fleetwood.

The cheapest ones offer the softest riding characteristics, but because of the weight of most older Cadillacs, they simply don't last that long combined with poor quality, that is why you only get a year or 2 with Monroe.

I switched to Gabriels front and rear shocks, and so far they have been much better in ride and longevity. I haven't developed any leaks yet and it's been almost 2 years with the Gabies.

I did have Monroe air level shocks in the rear in the Fleetwood a couple of years ago, but they rode stiff, and because I never haul anything or load up my trunk with stuff, there was no use for the level air shocks. I just replaced them with regular ones in the rear, and the car finally soften up in the back.

Shocks matter, but honestly spring rate makes the biggest difference in how nicely the car will filter out rough roads and potholes.

For instance, on my Fleetwood, I had variable-rate coil springs, the replacements online or at any parts store only gives you an option for variable rate springs. Well the problem with variable rate springs is that when loaded, the ride stiffens up, and even the spring rates are higher on them usually, so you have a harsh ride.

I decided to use rear springs out of Roadmaster since they were more options for springs on the Buicks and Chevys. I purchased Constant-Rate springs which are softer riding in general and won't stiffen when added weight is applied to them. I got the ones with the lowest spring rate, and after installing them, my Cadillac rode more leveled and even. The car wasn't so stiff in the rear anymore, and when going over small bumps, I rarely felt them.

I still need to do the front coils, and when that time comes, I am also replacing the springs from a Roadmaster as the spring heights are the same, but the spring rates are much lower on the RM vs the 93-96 Fleetwoods.

So for some of you looking for softer shocks and springs, look at Chevy and Buick models that are similar to Cadillacs of the same era and compare specs to see if you can install them in your Caddy because most of the time, starting in the 80's and 90's, Cadillac seemed to slightly stiffen up the rides of their cars to increase handling, while the Buicks soft ride quality was kept untouched for the most.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

TJ Hopland

I started a thread on those KYB 'gas adjust' shocks a couple years ago and I don't think anyone had actually tried that specific model.   I think of it every couple years when I see them listed when my air shocks start leaking oil.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason