News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1959 CDV Left Quarter Panel Shorter than RH FROM FACTORY??

Started by P. Manoogian, March 13, 2017, 08:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P. Manoogian

When I bought my 59 I was aware that the LH quarter panel had a "roll" and that the molding overhung. (see closeup pic below the full car pic) Upon removing trunk liner I could see no damage but still assumed that the bumper end was driven into the curved end to create a "perfect storm" of symmetrical damage.

I then heard rumors that other 59 CDV's had a similar situation. Today, I found a car for sale (top pic) identical to mine (only with A/C) that shows the EXACT same phenomena. (blow up picture to see)

I am wondering if anyone else who owns a 1959 CDV has a similar situation?

Yes, the molding is the proper length and fits properly where it attaches and at the door pillar.

Thanks
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

R S Steven

My 59 doesn't have that problem.  It has been in the family since the early 60's.
Cheers,
R. S. Steven

Ken Perry

That happens when they get hit  in the rear,the bumper goes rite into the quarter and smashes it in. It's a common thing with 59 and 60 Cads. I have a few like that 59 and 60. Cadillac would never have let a flaw that big go out.Time for some body work ! A 4 door quarter molding is about 1 inch shorter. The end is closed,you could cut the very end off and it would work,but they don't fit the front trim perfect. Would look better than the trim hanging over. You don't want to shorten the 2 door trim !!!They are to hard to come by !!! Ken Perry     
Cadillac Ken

P. Manoogian

Ken, thanks for the reply. What is amazing is how symmetrical the damage is and how there is no evidence of filler, bondo worms, or hammer marks on the quarter panel. It must have just folded cleanly.
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather