News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

'76 Eldo convertibles?

Started by fishnjim, June 30, 2019, 09:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wbostoen

Quote from: Big Fins on July 02, 2019, 03:05:02 AM
Bruce, in Reply #14, that's Bruce Reynolds as "The Bandit" in the '75, not J.D. Hogg. Totally different shows/movies.

But a white steering wheel? Yuk!

This indeed Burt Reynolds, but this picture is not from 'the bandit'. He played the role of Boss Hogg in the 2005 Dukes of Hazard spin-off movie, and drove a '76 eldorado.
I realise the 2005 movie is not the real deal, but the original series was recorded way before I was born.

Here is a better picture:
https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_19127-Cadillac-Eldorado-1976.html

fishnjim

Great to get all these opinions, side commentary, pictures, etc. but no one was able to answer the simple question?   We're mimicking Congressional speak, evade the issue.

I don't really care for the '76, much less in white*, I just cast a wide net when I search.  None after '76, so it's a default year.  If I really wanted one, I'd have already.   I had a chance to buy a red one ~20 years ago, nice car, but passed, it and I was in snow country.   The early ones had expensive problems with the FWD.   Inn is full, right now, I'll have to clear out space before I buy anything and at the snails pace I'm moving...   I looked before the XT5 and decided for new. 
I often speculated, just how big the wide bodies would have got, if the gas crisis and other factors had not played out?   A simple trendline is off the charts.   When they, by law, have to put a red light on one side and a green on the other, then it's a bona fide land yacht...   Sail on, L-DOs!
* -  There were about 4% of the population for sale.

Big Fins

Quote from: STS05lg on July 02, 2019, 03:53:19 AM
Big Fins, that is "Burt Reynolds" not "Bruce Reynolds" in the Eldorado.  ;D  ;D

LMAO!! I had just got up for work and was still half asleep. I didn't know there was a 'Dukes' spin off. I'm really not a TV person.

Quote from: Wbostoen on July 02, 2019, 04:35:53 AM
This indeed Burt Reynolds, but this picture is not from 'the bandit'. He played the role of Boss Hogg in the 2005 Dukes of Hazard spin-off movie, and drove a '76 eldorado.
I realise the 2005 movie is not the real deal, but the original series was recorded way before I was born.

I could swear that is a '75, by the headlight surrounds and there is no 'Cadillac' script on the left front of the hood in the first picture posted here. Also the rear has different trim around the tail lights and the trunk lip.

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Wbostoen

Quote from: Big Fins on July 03, 2019, 04:15:30 PM

I could swear that is a '75, by the headlight surrounds and there is no 'Cadillac' script on the left front of the hood in the first picture posted here. Also the rear has different trim around the tail lights and the trunk lip.

Sharp! You are correct, in the first picture the eldorado also has clear indicator lenses (='75). They probably have used a whole lot of these cars during the movie, as there are also images of the car with amber indicator lenses

AustinEldo75

Just acquired a 75 Emberust Firemist Convertible.  Really enjoying it, although I would love to hear or see any ideas for adding mechanical gauges in an aesthetically pleasing way.

TJ Hopland

Older thread but looks like the guy is still making them.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=112949.msg259689#msg259689

I have had mine for several years now and really like it.   I thought there was a picture here with it installed in my 73 but I can't find it.   Will try to remember to go out and take another.   I have it mounted on the lower dash between the steering column and ashtray. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

AustinEldo75

Big Fins

I was the one that put that Digi-Panel in my '59. It worked great, though I'm sorry I didn't pull it prior to selling the car. I'd like to put something in my Eldorado that looks discrete, but just can't come to grips with having anything that looks out of place in this car.

I figure if the car is well maintained, doesn't just sit in the garage and gets used, what came in it from the factory will just have to do.

I did disconnect and drain the ALC of any air so that it will sit with weight on the new springs. So far, she is settling in just fine. When I drive it, a simple vacuum line to hook up. Though the ride height doesn't change, it dampens it a bit making the shocks work as intended.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

AustinEldo75

@bigfins
I agree I'm having a hard time doing anything to the car that doesn't look original.  I'm not sure what the best solution is, I had an overheating issue on Friday and I would just like to be able to monitor things more accurately.  The dummy light never came on, but I lost some coolant while sitting at a stop light.  I'm replacing the waterpump, thermostat, and fan clutch today.  The car never had any other signs of overheating, purred the entire time as smoothly as can be. 

Big Fins

Funny as I was hunting anti-freeze/coolant today. It appears Walmart is about the only place that sells good old Prestone at a reasonable cost. Everyone sells a 50/50 mix anymore for $25/gal. I can get distilled water for $0.75/gall at the same Walmart, I get the Prestone from. Why pay $$$ for water?

I never touched the T-stat, but did put on a water pump, belts and hoses. The new T-stat is sitting in the tool box. And the fan is a straight fan, no clutch on mine. I like that much more just to keep the A/C head pressures down.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

hornetball

This stuff . . . it works!  20 degree running temp drop on my '94 Vette.  So I used it on the Eldo too, but as you know, the Eldo is not instrumented.

https://evapo-rust.com/thermocure/

It'll be right next to that jug of Prestone that Big Fins bought at WalMart.

AustinEldo75

Scot Minesinger

This is on a 1970 DVC.  Made the pods out of PVC pipe and fittings, size 2" - works perfect.  This is removable with one bolt and plugs in.  The coolant and oil are not brought into the dash.  Get creative and you can develop something really nice.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

J. Skelly

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

67_Eldo

+1 on Thermocure. It isn’t cheap and your car will require two jugs of it, plus a number of “rinse” cycles. But it knocked at least 10 degrees off my temp readings.

Here’s my report from last year:
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=149456.msg402889#msg402889

bcroe

Quote from: Scot Minesinger
This is on a 1970 DVC.  Made the pods out of PVC pipe and fittings, size 2" - works perfect.  This is removable with one bolt and plugs in.  The coolant and oil are not brought into the dash.  Get creative and you can develop something really nice. 

I have been using the 1.5 inch temp gauge, it will usually fit somewhere. 
With a 270 degree scale it is at least as readable as the bigger 90 degree.

Anyone know how many 76 E cars were built with EFI?  Must have been
a lot, that ECU is by far the number one type coming here for repair. 
They always tell me it is a 76 ELDO CONVERTIBLE, though I do not need
to know it is a convertible.  Have seen more than a dozen this year. 
Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

Wasn't EFI one of the many options that you got with one of the 200 bicentennial editions?  You would think that many of them are survivors. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Bicentennial Eldorados could be ordered with optional equipment just like any other model.

Bruce...the reason you're seeing so many FI cars is because few people know how to tend them, unlike carburetors. I once heard 5% installation rate of FI in 1976 (excluding Seville on which it was standard).
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute