News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

AC fitting leak at compresser 69CDV

Started by davedeltadog, August 26, 2018, 03:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davedeltadog

My AC system is leaking on my 69 Coupe de Ville at the compressor fittings. I removed the clamp and fittings to discover there are no orings or gasket. I'm assuming they are a metal to metal fit and I need to clean the surfaces and torque to.  spec. I believe they may have been removed recently because system is converted to 134A. Any information is appreciated.   

35-709

Not a metal to metal fit!  They require o-rings.  If you have left that system open you will (at a minimum) be replacing the receiver/dryer.  Probably should at this point anyway.  Whoever did that screwed up big-time.
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Scot Minesinger

Not metal to metal - never a god seal on a gas system.  Should be "O" rings.

It is easy to miss the "O" rings on this set up if unfamiliar.  If the "O" rings were omitted it would leak major.  On the back of the compressor are round groves that accept the "O" rings, check again and you should see them on the compressor, not the hoses. 

The receiver drier is inexpensive - check on Amazon, I have bought a bunch from them branded as "Four Seasons" for low cost - like $25.  Then buy a bunch of "O" rings in various assorted sizes.  Replace all the "O" rings.   Be sure and vacuum it down real well.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

davedeltadog

thanks guys I will check out the compressor fittings and dryer

35-709

No way to tell externally if the receiver/drier is good or bad (unless it is leaking).  If it is bad and the desiccant goes through the system, you will soon find out, and it will be expensive.  If that system has been open to the atmosphere for very long, the only safe thing to do money-wise is replace the receiver/drier.
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.

Scot Minesinger

replace the dryer, takes ten minutes on a system already open and cost of it is very low.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

35-709

Replace it but keep it sealed until ready to hook the hoses up and put a vacuum on it --- now.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

FWIW if the system has been without charge and open to atmospheric conditions for longer than a few hours AND it was charged with h R134a I would have no doubt the oil is so moisture laden you will never be able to successfully dry it out. Not with extensive vacuuming or new dryer. PAG and POE oils are so hygroscopic the entire system (if you really want to get it to operate at a decent level of efficiency for any time at all) should be disassembled and properly flushed. Moisture and these lubricants forms some pretty interesting and corrosive chemicals.
Just my 2 ¥ worth.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-