News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Transalate the GTS, CTS, STS, XLR, XLK CT6 ATS Ect, mess please

Started by gary griffin, August 24, 2018, 10:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

Looking at the possibility of buying a newer Cadillac and not sure what all of the alphabet names mean.  I am looking for a bigger car and a reliable one but still classic.

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

chrisntam

The DeVille is the big one, Seville the smaller,  Eldorado is the sporty one, Cimarron, well, never mind.

Other than that, I haven't a clue....

::)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

You're not kidding. I hate that I don't know which one is which.
Jeff
Jeff Rose
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I really despise the "alphabet soup" approach.  They
were attempting to sound more "European" -- but
this ain't Europe.

Give me back the old Deville, Fleetwood, Eldorado,
etc. and I'll be happier.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Scot Minesinger

The CT6 is the larger RWD Cadillac that I think most of us would buy.  The ATS (smaller) and CTS (mid size) are the smaller sedans currently available new, but that are going to be discontinued soon.

The XLR is the retractible metal hard top 2 seater RWD convertible that was discontinued recently.
The STS was the Seville mid size that was discontinued recently.
XLK maybe was that coupe electric powered like a Chevy Volt that was discotinued

Not sure about GTS

You can get all this on line, I typed this from memory, hope I got it right.  Probably the CT6 is what you want.

Enjoy your new Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Apple Caddy

As new models are introduced, Cadillac is going with CT and a number (e.g., CT6) for cars and XT and a number (e.g., XT5) for crossovers.  The number will identify the model's position in the lineup e.g., the XT5 is bigger than the XT4.  All pretty straightforward.  The Escalade will still be called Escalade indefinitely.

Current models:
CT6 = large RWD sedan
XTS = large FWD sedan, replaced DTS in 2013
CTS = midsize RWD sedan
ATS = compact RWD coupe and sedan
XT5 = FWD crossover, replaced SRX in 2017
XT4 = FWD crossover coming out for 2019
Escalade = large RWD SUV

The XTS and CTS are to be replaced by the CT5
The ATS is expected to be replaced by the CT4 or 3 (to be determined)
A new XT6 crossover is expected to be added around 2020

Older discontinued models:
DTS = large FWD sedan, replaced DeVille
STS = midsize RWD sedan, replaced Seville
SRX = crossover, RWD until 2009 and then FWD 2010-2016
ELR = subcompact FWD PHEV coupe
XLR = RWD 2-seat roadster

35-709

Were I interested even a little bit, I would have to print that list out, encase it in clear plastic and carry it around in my wallet for easy reference.   ::)   Bunch of baloney.
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Scot Minesinger

Not a big fan of the new naming convention either, but what a car model name is does not influence my buying decision.  Most luxury cars are named this way, and if one was not, that alone would be not an influence enough to buy it.  Spelled out names are better for me (such as Fleetwood), but to each their own.

Big Apple Caddy

New names or name changes, regardless of being alphanumeric or full words, are going to create "confusion" for some at the time and into the future.  It's been happening for ages.

If one is not interested in or familiar with certain makes or era of cars, model names won't mean much and can be confusing as far as model identification.  For example, I still see people on here and elsewhere incorrectly identify 1987-1992 Broughams as Fleetwoods.

I too prefer full words for Cadillac model names but that's really just for nostalgic reasons.  Also for nostalgic reasons, I prefer Cadillacs as sedans and coupes/convertibles instead of crossovers and SUVs but hey, times change.

gary griffin

Thanks R. Langley for information, and I agree with G. Newcombe about baloney but we have no say in the matter I guess. I have the list in my wallet as I write this. Being 6'-2" and having size 13 shoes I probably wont be looking at the bottom of the list much.
Gary Griffin

Glen

I was under the impression the original letters stood for the names.  DTS was Deville Touring Sedan and STS was Seville Touring Sedan.  But it got too confusing later on.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Glen on August 26, 2018, 02:59:49 AM
I was under the impression the original letters stood for the names.  DTS was Deville Touring Sedan and STS was Seville Touring Sedan.  But it got too confusing later on.

True but when the CTS added a coupe and wagon the "TS" (for Touring Sedan) didn't really apply anymore.  There were other non-sedans too like SRX which reportedly stood for S-Series Reconfigurable X-over (or crossover), XLR for X-Series Luxury Roadster and ELR for Electric Long Range.

The new CT and XT names are straightforward and once the old names are phased out it will be cleaner, assuming Cadillac sticks with it.  Today's mix of old and new names may be confusing to some not up on the current/recent lineups.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Maybe Cadillac is intentionally attempting to remove any references to the comfortable and reliable historic vehicles that us "oldies" remember so well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Glen on August 26, 2018, 02:59:49 AM

That WAS the case, but no longer. XLR (convertible), STS big midsize sedan) and ELR (electric vehicle) were all discontinued from 2-7 years ago.

SRX (crossover SUV) became XT5

XTS replaced DTS and its FWD but is being or is already discontinued

ATS is smaller RWD sedan

CTS is mid size RWD sedan, coupe or wagon (I think the Wagon is gone) which got larger in 2014 but it will be renamed
CT5 (IF it survives)

CT6 is larger RWD sedan

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

gary griffin

The bottom line is that I am large guy (6'-2") with size 13 boots with a lot of arthritis and need more door opening than many cars have today and want an older Cadillac to add to my herd, more or less a regular driver. In the last 35 years I have had 7 town cars and they were great transportation and now that I am retired I am looking for a change.
Gary Griffin

cadillacmike68

Well, the lincoln town car was made up until 2011 or 2012, whereas the equivalent Cadillac, the Fleetwood was stopped in 1996. The DTS (front wheel drive) which had generous door openings and massive front seat legroom was made up to 2011 or 2012, but that's it for large sedans.

The CT6 does NOT have the same front leg room as the DTS did.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

If you want an older Cadillac with room, the RWD Fleetwood 1994-96 is what I would buy.  The performance is unmatched by most cars today, large car, runs on regular gas, and gets 24mpg highway (75 mph w/ac on) 18mpg city.  Plus it looks so cool.  Nice low mileage examples are affordable - same price as a 3-5 year old good used car.

Post us when you buy it.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: gary griffin on August 27, 2018, 05:49:08 PM
The bottom line is that I am large guy (6'-2") with size 13 boots with a lot of arthritis and need more door opening than many cars have today and want an older Cadillac to add to my herd, more or less a regular driver. In the last 35 years I have had 7 town cars and they were great transportation and now that I am retired I am looking for a change.

Are you looking at sedans only?  How old of a car would you be willing to consider?  How many miles do you plan to use it per year?  What is your desired price range?  Answers to some of these questions may better help to point you in the right direction.

You may also want to visit other forums that have much more active discussions on later model cars.  This forum's focus is more on older Cadillacs and LaSalles.

gary griffin

I have been averaging 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year.  Initial price is not as important as comfort and reliability. In my state (Washington) no annual license  required for occasionally driven cars 30 years old or older. Since I hope to travel a lot this is appealing also. Turning 78 in November and probably not buying too many more cars.
Gary Griffin