News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Title For A 1937 LaSalle

Started by carlhungness, August 24, 2018, 03:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

I am awaiting the arrival of a 1937 LaSalle Opera Coupe I drove through college and beyond, to the tune of 110,000 miles. A well to do man gave me the car, but never gave me the title, so I used renewed his registration for years. He passed away. The original engine is long gone and it is my understanding the VIN number was on the engine, possibly the last year to do so. Thus, any BMV search to be done on the car has to have a VIN number. Any suggestions out there as how to obtain a title for this car?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Carl,
What state do you want to title it in?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

carlhungness

Indiana. I think the best I am going to be able to accomplish is a Bill of Sale from the man's daughter, and I'm not certain how I'd word it right now. Thus far I've ascertained I shall have to go before a circuit court and present my paperwork, which is nil at the moment.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Contact me directly at bobscads@comcast.net. I'll give you my advice.
Bob

Steve Passmore

You can work out the engine number by having the chassis number which is on the top of the chassis just behind the steering box. The letter at the start of the number takes the place of numbers that were on the engine. I can tell you what these number should be.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Steve,
You are, of course correct. I understand he has registration cards showing the correct VIN. So, what you show him is a way to verify that.
Bob

carlhungness

The car will arrive in late September and I'll look at the frame numbers and get back to you. I do not have the registration paperwork, although there's an outside chance it may be in the glove box and the car has been stored for the past 15-18 years.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

carlhungness

gary griffin

I do not know if it is still possible but it used to be a car could be registered
, titled by mail in one of the rust belt states.  AS I recall it was Mainly titles for about $125 and Broadway titles.  Some states have registration only on cars over a certain age and will issue Registration which is (or was?) accepted as title by other states,
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Carl, Indiana DMV has a site to go to that should give you all the requirements that you need. Best of luck. BW
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

carlhungness

You need a VIN, which I currently don't have, but will seek of course. Plus, I may have to petition the court. It may be a long process.

gkhashem

Go to this site and spend the $ 10.00 for a title search, never buy a car without being able to get a title or the legal substitute for it depending on the state.

https://www.vinaudit.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImvn1mdyL3QIVCtbACh1wUwBvEAAYASAAEgKpdfD_BwE

In live in NH and I do not need a title for an older car, but some state require one. Even now in NH a car built since 2000 now needs a title forever.

So you say you do not need one, so what's the big deal. Well there could be two issues.

Try selling the car to a buyer in a state that needs a title. Guess what if he is stupid enough to buy it then take the money and run.

Also in NH I was able to get an antique title for a car over 25 years old. Well I cannot if there is an active title out there somewhere.

If there is and I try to get an antique title, I must get the title and turn it in or I would no be able to register the car in the coming year. I would be better off not trying to get a title, but then again try selling it to a buyer who may need one.

So the states seems to being tightening the ability to get a title and they check a database in search of one. Plus why not do the search and have some piece of mind for $10.00?
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

gkhashem

Just checked price is now  $12.99, but still worth it.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

carlhungness

I will have to get the car back to Indiana, check the frame number and then hopefully come up with a VIN before I can do any type of search.

DaveZ

Hi  there,
    I bought a 37 from a gen in Indiana and the DMV was very accommodating helping me straighten out the title. As Steve has stated the numbers on the frame are coded to the VIN number on the engine. Indiana uses the VIN number on the title which is not the same as what is on the frame.  Vin # is 2259492 Frame is 2B29492. Just an FYI if the engine has been changed. They took the second number of the vin and replaced with with alphabetical; 2=B and third digit you would add three to get the vin. Last four are the same.
Dave
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

carlhungness

I'll have the car in about 2-3 weeks and will then proceed, but I'm sure it last had a Colorado title and the man who gave it to me is dead, so I will probably have to contact one of his heirs and go to court. It is not going to be an easy trick.