News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1975 eldorado suspension

Started by macdaddylong, September 17, 2018, 10:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdaddylong

I’ve got a low millage 75 eldo convert and need some advice on new shocks ?
Ps thanks to all for advice on my
Last post regarding convertible top motor /relay  turns out the motor ground was loose.. nice when the fix is easy like that
1949 Harley flathead
1967 r60 Bmw
1981 Vespa
1975 eldorado
1985 ram charger
1963 xke Jaguar

Dave Shepherd

macdaddylong

Yes they are probably original .. so probably all4 ..
How hard to install new ones ? I have accesss to a lift ..
Also what type should I consider ?
1949 Harley flathead
1967 r60 Bmw
1981 Vespa
1975 eldorado
1985 ram charger
1963 xke Jaguar

Dave Shepherd

I try and use KYB, heavy duty for the front for sure.  You have air shocks in the rear, you may have to do some air line adapting as oe shocks are no longer available, but I think Monroe may be available.

TJ Hopland

I have a theory that Monroe and Gabriel no longer make air shocks for these, what you get now is old stock so don't be surprised if you end up with air or oil leaks in a fairly short period of time. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

On a 1972 Eldorado with a bad air compressor, I went to standard high quality rear non-air shocks and it was fine.  Understand everyone frowns on this practice, but to me it is worthwhile.  The rear is lite in these Cadillacs and full fuel tank and rear seat passengers can mean a weight variation in the rear of 500lbs or so easy.  The reality is most of the time the gas tank is over half full and no one is in the back seat, so the load varies almost never.

Do not go to the air shocks with manual fill.  That means it is another thing you have to deal with, automatic is best.

If your compressor remains operational it may be worthwhile to maintain the ALC and find the air shocks, but some plumbing will be required.  Do not use NOS, as they will probably leak.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

Quote from: Scot Minesinger
On a 1972 Eldorado with a bad air compressor, I went to standard high quality rear non-air shocks and it was fine.  Understand everyone frowns on this practice

Not everyone frowns, I have the parts prepared to do the same on
my 79 Eldo.  Given the improvement with KYB shocks in front, I
can't wait to see how much they help in the rear.  A spare set of
rebuilt and painted rear arms are there with KG5573 shocks, I wonder
what I will need to do about the touring type springs to get level? 
My measurements indicate these shocks are a perfect fit, though
no one else had a clue what non lift would fit. 

Fronts are KYB KG4531, a vast improvement. 

However finishing my house conversion to high tech mini-split
heat pumps will need to be finished first.  Bruce Roe