News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

65 Cadillac Coupe Deville stereo questions

Started by 65CaddyNYS, September 20, 2018, 11:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

65CaddyNYS

Hey guys kind of new to this, I picked up a 65 Coupe DeVille about a year ago looking to put a stereo in it. The rear speakers are missing and there's a regular 6 by 9 oval cut out on the passenger side but on the driver side there is a rectangular cut out.I was expecting two ovals. What was the factory set up like when it was new any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Eric

65CaddyNYS

65CaddyNYS

Here's what's in question.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

65CaddyNYS

Okay I got you. Still scratching my head why there is Speaker cutouts in the back and why there is a rectangular one on the driver side.Pretty sure it's factory

Roger Zimmermann

Usually those cars had 2 speakers, one at the front and one at the rear. A knob at the radio controlled the balance between both. It was not stereo, of course!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: 65CaddyNYS on September 21, 2018, 05:44:53 AM
Okay I got you. Still scratching my head why there is Speaker cutouts in the back and why there is a rectangular one on the driver side.Pretty sure it's factory

The 65-66 dashes are the same.  Someone could easily have swapped the dashes, as it is maybe a 15 minute task to swap a '66 stereo dash with a non '65.  Add another 15 mins to take out the radio and swap.    Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

gkhashem

I have a 1966 with a mono radio and a rear defogger. So I think this is why you have 2 cut outs. So the second cut out is for a rear defogger optioned car. If that was offered in 1965. So I am taking a guess since there was no stereo radio in 1965 the drivers side cut out was square but in the 1966 it is oval like a speaker to accommodate the blower or the speaker.

So again the reason for the second cut out is a rear defogger. If you have a rear defogger and my car does. The cut out on the driver's side is used as an intake vent for the defogger blower motor which then blows the warm cabin air back onto the rear window through a center vent. They did not have a modern rear defogger as today.

The cut out on the passenger side is for the rear speaker. So if you had AM FM stereo in 1966 you did not have the rear defogger option since that cut out had your second rear speaker and if you had the rear defogger you only had a MONO radio and not stereo. Since the space for the cut out had your defogger blower motor in that location. It happened to be square in 1965 since it was only for a defogger blower in the 1966 it is oval since it was used for one or the other.

I hope I am clear.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

65CaddyNYS

Thanks alot guys for all the knowledge. It makes sense now!