News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

62 Sedan deVille $10,500 Atoka OK

Started by BJM, February 07, 2019, 06:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/d/atoka-62-cadillac-sedan-deville/6797141591.html

I know this is hard to believe, but I went to my company's annual meeting in Austin, Texas. I live in Des Moines. I put on Google Maps and away I drove.  I spotted this car on my Autotempest search. 

On the way down I pass it, and obviously notice it.  There was no for sale sign in the front window and besides there was a scattering of snow around and had accumulated on the windshield. 

When I got to Austin I checked Oklahoma CL and verified it was the same car.  On the way back I wasn't paying attention and buzzed right by it. It would have been nice to stop and see it. 

My issue with this era of cars that have rebuilt motors is what does that mean?  Just gaskets?  Or full machine work totaling $6000?  And when you pull a motor and rebuild it, that's just the start as we know. Will it mesh with the transmission, did they rebuild the carb?  Motor mounts new?  Could be a can of worms or done right. 

James Landi

judging from the "fair" condition of the fabric upholstery-- which is amazing, I'd conjecture that there are fewer than 100 K on the car, and that the motor's "rebuild" may have been everything necessary to get the old thing up and running following many decades of being out of service.  All that said, is it worth 10,000, if it's in running and driving condition, or, if not, what is a fair market value?  5000?  Since it came with a/c, and that's a real plus, would it be appropriate to assume that virtually all of those components would require replacement?  All this is to say, what would one expect to have to do to keep this baby in driving condition, (with everything working) assuming it's a example of a fifty-seven year old car with just under 100,000 miles?   James

BJM

Good questions James.   I am considering a pristine 63 Sedan deVille listed for $12,500 that is a one owner car with 46,000 miles on it.   It's unfair to this seller, who can ask whatever he/she wants, but being a constant shopper means I see a lot of cars that they don't know about to compare to their asking prices.

I see nothing inherently wrong with this car except for some people the kind of blah color might not work. For this era of car I like lighter shades because the corrugated surfaces pop better.  Gold, tan, laurel mist, lighter blues, etc. 

Otherwise, I believe without seeing it, you will be chasing Gremlins for awhile and that's OK.  That's part of the old car experience for me. BUT - not for nearly $11,000.  You are correct, this is more of a $6000 car.  Coincidentally, I am also looking at the same color 64 Sedan deVille with around 50,000 miles, one owner, for $5000.  It is in similar condition. 

For this 62, I think the owner has added up all receipts and wants 100% reimbursement which is not what the hobby is about. I wish we could all get guaranteed 100% reimbursement.  I hope the family or owner has received some enjoyment out of the car prior to deciding to sell.