News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1953 riveted wheels

Started by G Pennington, August 06, 2018, 06:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Pennington

I just finished media blasting and painting my stock 1953 steel rims (PPG Omni).  The centers are attached to the outer rim with 15 flush head rivets.  Got the rivet heads pretty clean, they appear tight, and they now have epoxy primer and 2 fresh coats of acrylic urethane. 
I have read that these rivets can leak and some restorers use a sealant (silicone?) over the river heads for good measure.   I plan on running tubeless tires.
Any advice or shared experience appreciated.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

P W Allen CLC# 20193

I've been running tubeless radials on my 53 with stock wheels for several years now with no leaks and no use of sealant of any kind. But I see no reason not to use it if you want to.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

papas52cad

FYI
I recently purchased 5, which I believe are vintage  1949, blasted, and powder coated, installed radials in June, no issues., coating mY have offered some added sealing benefit. That was why I went that route rather than painted myself.
Good luck
1952 Fleetwood

fishnjim

I don't think regular RTV silicone will do any good.   Way too porous.
Unfortunately, won't know till you mount them, but the epoxy should've sealed adequately, if good coverage.
If not, personally, I'd replace if leaking, as the structural integrity is then suspect.   The outer rim face has to be smooth also to get a bead lock.   If they sat or were very rusty, it could leak there as well.   

G Pennington

I blasted the bead seat pretty clean, and then sanded smooth with 150 grit prior to painting.  Will go over the painted seat with 600-800 just to slicken it up prior to having the tires mounted.
Rivets are tight.  Was thinking about overcoating the heads with JB weld (thinned with lacquer thinner to get good flow-out).
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible

G Pennington

Done
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible

papas52cad

Hello Gary
Do you have any insight on these steel rims...mine are like yours (vintage 1949 as far as I know)......with regard to them easily becoming bent during normal driving conditions. Mine balanced very well last year using  only 1/2 oz stick on weights to balance when I put them on my 52 Fleetwood. Last week I  had the 2 fronts rebalanced just to see if they could be a possible cause for the return of the vibration issue ( had it  since I got it 2 yrs ago...) and during balancing the mechanic showed me how one now has a slight wobble indicating it’s bent?
I have driven about 2-3000 miles since the install with new diamond backs...
Fortunately Rebalancing was possible on both wheels but unfortunately it offered no improvement on the vibration issue which is evident between 45-60mph.
I plan to swap out and use the spare and possibly have a shop check to see if they are  able to straighten it.
Seems strange to me that it could bend but then again it is 70 years old.
Just curious for any thoughts.
I don’t recall any major jolt from pot holes etc..but then again I am driving in New York!!???
Thx for any thoughts
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

G Pennington

I see no reason why these wheels would be susceptible to bending under normal use nor have I heard of that being a problem.  Any steel wheel can bend if it gets hit hard enough. Are you sure the vibration is wheel related?
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible

papas52cad

Hello
Thank you..
I did not think that it was the tires/ wheels, but I had them balanced just to eliminate the tires...
I believe it may be my drive shaft again even though I had a new universal joint added, DS was shortened after it was confirmed to be 5/8” too long and rebalanced.
The vibration is annoying and the only issue I have with my car..otherwise it performs like a caddy should.
I likely will have DS reviewed again.
Appreciate your reply and help.
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

Bob Schuman

I have run radial tires with no tubes on a 41 Cadillac for many years and miles, plus a 40 LaSalle, 49 and 51 Cadillacs, all with stock wheels, never had any air leakage problems.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5