News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Rebuild waterpump in 1954 cadillac, engine 331

Started by caddy54, March 26, 2021, 01:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddy54

Hi,
Now I need help with good instructions how I rebuild the pump. I have demont and bougt new rebuild kit but there I stand. It is very,very difficult to do. Someone maby have done that and can guide me trought the operation. Maby some good instruction with good pictures and so on. The instruction in the manual is for cadillac own workshops not for simple garagemechanics.
I really need help.
E.Bergdahl
North of Sweden

walt chomosh #23510

caddy54,
  I walked into a shop in Tulsa and the owner (Jerry) had my pump broken down and laying on his bench in probably less then 2 minutes! It was like he was doing them on an assembly line. Fact is, other CLC members have used him and reports I hear is that they are well pleased. (VERY reasonable) Jerry is hard to get a hold of (918-834-6779) but may be worth giving a try....walt...tulsa,ok

Jay Friedman

Another excellent water pump rebuilder is Gould Rebuilders in Massachusetts.  I've used them several times with good results.

http://arthurgouldrebuilders.parkerspackards.com/mobi/
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

caddy54

OK. Thanks , but its too far for me. I live in Sweden  :)
E.Bergdahl
North of Sweden

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day caddy54,

You have an email from the Moderators that requires your attention.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fishnjim

The rebuild kit should've come with detailed instructions, if not, contact the supplier for some.
I think you might need services of a machine shop, as the original parts are no longer made and the new ones require some adaptation.   I'm not sure if this '54 pump is in repro but there are exchange rebuilders who will ship interantional.   You send yours in and they send you a rebuild back(not yours)   Some will rebuild yours for you, if it is in good condition.   
It's not hard but you need a hydraulic press and some machine skills.   

caddy54

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 26, 2021, 08:16:47 PM
G'day caddy54,

You have an email from the Moderators that requires your attention.

Thanks,

Ok, I have not get any mail.
E.Bergdahl
North of Sweden

caddy54

Quote from: fishnjim on March 26, 2021, 08:24:59 PM
The rebuild kit should've come with detailed instructions, if not, contact the supplier for some.
I think you might need services of a machine shop, as the original parts are no longer made and the new ones require some adaptation.   I'm not sure if this '54 pump is in repro but there are exchange rebuilders who will ship interantional.   You send yours in and they send you a rebuild back(not yours)   Some will rebuild yours for you, if it is in good condition.   
It's not hard but you need a hydraulic press and some machine skills.

Yes I got some instructions but I don
E.Bergdahl
North of Sweden

caddy54

Quote from: caddy54 on March 27, 2021, 02:39:00 AM
Yes I got some instructions but I don

?My text cut of?
E.Bergdahl
North of Sweden

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks for fixing that, but alas, the problem with the Truncating Text is still a problem that the Webmaster is trying hard to fix.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 27, 2021, 04:35:07 AM
Thanks for fixing that, but alas, the problem with the Truncating Text is still a problem that the Webmaster is trying hard to fix.

It looks like the interim fix is to not use any apostrophes or commas.  Maybe some other punctuation.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Glen on March 28, 2021, 02:52:09 AM
It looks like the interim fix is to not use any apostrophes or commas.  Maybe some other punctuation.   
Maybe the issue depends with what you are typing. I'm using a age old PC, I have, for the moment, no problem. Could be that some tablets create the issue.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

caddy54

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 28, 2021, 03:22:42 AM
Maybe the issue depends with what you are typing. I'm using a age old PC, I have, for the moment, no problem. Could be that some tablets create the issue.

I have and old pc at least 12 years and windows 7.
I can not understand the instructions. The instructions are for Cadillacs own workshops  and there own tools. Not for selfdoing.
E.Bergdahl
North of Sweden

caddy54

Now I have my water pump renovated. It's nothing for an ordinary garage mechanic to indulge in. A good hydraulic press is needed, then you have to turn an abutment to be able to mill the sealing surface. Furthermore, that surface must be polished with a special polishing paste. Furthermore, it is required that you can measure and chimsa in the impeller and the ceramic sealing ring. So, nothing for a garage mechanic without the necessary tools.
E.Bergdahl
North of Sweden