News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Question about paypal

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, February 20, 2020, 03:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

No protection of purchase from Zelle. It is as described a simple bank to bank transfer method. Period. Paypal fee is worth every penny. Have had three bad deals over a thousand or so paypal transactions and never lost a dime.   If someone refuses paypal and I cant do face to face I offer to cover the fees. If they still balk.......I WALK or RUN from the deal.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

cadillacmike68

Quote from: GregoryAlan on February 24, 2020, 01:57:58 AM
???
Just to be clear, I have never heard of Zelle...
Is there any protection for a deal/transaction gone bad?

One time I did a bank transfer deal. Actually I made a deposit into a bank account at a Wells Fargo in Minnesota to pay for a item I was buying from a company in Texas, I deposited cash into their Wells Fargo bank account. The teller warned me that once deposited I had no recourse if there was a problem!

You should be able to do a bank transfer at any bank. I can do a transfer from my bank without using any Zelle. Once the money leaves my bank it is gone...

For those of you who think that using your credit card to make a "FRIENDS" payment via eBay, beware that if the deal goes south/wrong you can file a dispute with your credit card, but beware you will probably NOT win that dispute. You sent money to a friend! You did not make a purchase.

Did you read the 100 pages of 'rules' when you opened your PayPal account? Violate those rules and you can lose your PayPal account.

Not every credit card dispute can be won by the buyer!!!

If you dispute a transaction with a person/company that you have done business with in the past you might lose the dispute just for the fact that they and you have a history.

You can hate on PayPal all you want!
After one or two deals gone wrong that you do not win will make that 3% a none issue.
Caveat Emptor...

BTw...If you do not take PayPal, we do not do business. I have walked from a purchase for that very reason. I would be very skeptical of someone not willing to offer a safe/protected way for me to pay. I am always open to a PayPal alternative.

Greg, 

As Jeff says NO protection with a zelle transfer. You must be certain of what you are doing.

Sure, you can go to a bank branch and deposit to another account. I've done this for my sister for purchases  that she is / was local to, but I trust my sister. And now with zelle, lazy millennials and GenZers can use their dumbphone.

Yes, I won't use the "friends" when purchasing. Further if you use a CC to fund a "friends" transfer, then YOU pay the paypal fees!

You will win a cc dispute if you are in the right, i.e. item not shipped or proven delivered - REGARDLESS of what as seller tries to claim; item misrepresented - usually helps to have photos. Prior business does not factor in if the vendor had committed malfeasance.  I have never lost a CC (even via paypal) dispute, never had that many either, probably less than 5 if I remember. A couple were via a paypal purchase. Those times the vendor refunded Real Fast, because while paypal hates when you file a dispute, if you are in the right , they will suck it out of the vendor's account with a long distance electronic vacuum machine and will hit the vendor with an Additional paypal charge for being a bad boy.

I don't like paypal, but I don't hate it either. I use it when it is useful, usually when purchasing online. If selling - less so.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

dochawk

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on February 23, 2020, 09:25:48 PM

However unless it is a face to face transaction, I always prefer paying with a Credit Card because of  the federal protections.

Note that when you use a credit card with PayPal, the protections are as to your interaction with PayPal, and not the underlying transaction . . .

I'd be surprised if Zelle has any external protections--it's a free service from the banks, basically a form of electronic check.

I first encountered it when my insurance company paid me for a damaged computer,
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I've used PP/FF for purchases from CLC forum regulars without incident. Depends on who you're dealing with.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadillacmike68

Quote from: dochawk on February 24, 2020, 05:33:09 PM

Note that when you use a credit card with PayPal, the protections are as to your interaction with PayPal, and not the underlying transaction . . .

And my disputes through paypal purchases have always been successful.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike