News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

'40 LaSalle 3 Speed Rebuild Help?

Started by 39Flathead, March 01, 2020, 01:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

39Flathead

Hi all,

I bought a used '40 (or so I was told) LaSalle 3 speed for my 346 build. Tearing it down to have it hot tanked and then I'll paint and rebuild. Working on getting the output shaft pulled from the gear cluster. I'm trying to get the rear bearing off so I can slide the gear assembly forward and get the retaining clips off but the bearing is stuck on what appears to be a locking detent ball? None of the online guides I've read through have this step so I'm stumped. I can't seem to get it out and I don't see how else the bearing would slide off..

Help?

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

I don't recall seeing what is in your picture but I have attached a rewrite of the shop manual for the transmission disassembly and assembly.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Jay Friedman

Besides Brad's rewrite, I can send you some additional information on working on the transmission.  I'm not good at posting things on this website, but if you email me at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com or send me a PM with your postal address I'll mail you copies.

Jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

LaSalle5019

DaveZ

That ball should pop right out. It is, for the lack of a better work, lock for speedo drive gear. Probably just stuck from oil grease etc. the shop manual is pretty good explaining how to take apart and reassemble the transmission.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

LaSalle5019

Perhaps use a strong (rare earth) magnet?

DaveZ

Magnet may work. Mine fell out:-) Let us know how you make out.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B