News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Valve cover screws

Started by Matti R, March 19, 2020, 11:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matti R

Hi!
Some of my valve cover screws have kind of pin about inch long. What is the purpose of the pin?
They could be for organizing the wires along the cover, but there are wire hooks already in the side of covers. Or maybe those screws are not original at all?
Regards,
Matti
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Depending upon the year, these screw/pin were used in various screw locations to hold the various spark plug wire looms around the motor. Below is a sample of the wire loom. It is not necessarily Cadilac specific but it is a sample of what was/is used.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-40289
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

35-709

Here are a couple of pictures of those looms in place on my '73 engine.  In the first pic, one is behind the PS pump and the other just above the dipstick. 
They are also available with 4 wire holes (and I think 3) as well as the 2 hole variety that Greg showed.  Most parts stores carry them in their Dorman or "HELP" section.
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Matti R

Thanks! I need to check if the current wire looms fit those pins.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe