News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1960 Station Wagon

Started by Blade, July 16, 2013, 10:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade

Is this real or just a one of a kind?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Definitely a custom job, and looks very beautiful.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

russ austin

That roof line doesnt look anything like a CC coach builder.
R.Austin

INTMD8

P Cedergren

Blade

I got a couple of more pictures of it and some other rare beauties:

TonyZappone #2624

The black car is probably a factory picture of the '56 Custom View Master that I owned for many years.  In my conversation with Bill Hess, he remembered my car as being car #6.  Someone had removed the body plates, ( one is pictured here).   These plates were mounted on the bottom of each side of the front seat , and I had several sets made.  I still have one set if someone would like to purchase it.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Blade

How many of those were made all together Tony?

TonyZappone #2624

I believe there were 13 in 1955, and 12 in 1956.  Bill Hess was still alive when I got my car, and he sent me copies of the original plans for these cars.  I asked him what model he had modified to make the wagon.  Quite indignantly, he replied he was a custom body builder, and not a customizer of cars.   These cars began life as a "short sill cowl".  Front clip, rear fenders, etc.  much like a commercial chassis, except on the 125" (or whatever the wheelbase was that year for series 62 cars.)  The roof was from 54 b body wagons, trim above the doors from a 60 special, the seats, and all inside trim was full leather, in a pattern unique to the wagons.  The headliner was the white vinyl with perforations and chrome strips, like the sedan devilles.  When the guys in my shop broke the rear window, (which was electric) I found out the hardway that it was from  '55 and '56 Nomads.  This car was a 26,000 mile pretty much original car.  I am truly sorry I sold it.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

jwwseville60

My 63 Vista Cruiser custom wagon.
In Resto now. It was Burgundy.
It will be silver blue with a white vinyl top.
Billet saber wheels.
429/Turbo 400 upgrade.

Lifetime CLC

bctexas

Gentlemen, the '60 and '63 are nothing short of spectacular!  I only hope I get to see them in person some day.  Thanks for preserving them!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

veesixteen

Quote from: Blade on July 16, 2013, 10:32:15 PM
Is this real or just a one of a kind?

Station wagons (British "shooting breaks") were never part of the Cadillac model line-up.
Nonetheless, many were built by independent coach builders ("Hess & Eisenhardt" being he most well known) and so-called "customizers".

Many are mentioned in the "Cadillac Database" I created and compiled in the 80s and 90s. You will find them in the section of the web site dealing with "Dream Cars". Searching on "wagon" should bring up a few.

Here's one by Peter Stengel (USA and UK) on the 1959 Cadillac "Series 62" chassis. It has survived and is currently undergoing a lengthy restoration.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"