News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

'70 eldorado survivor struggle to sort out the wiper..

Started by billmorrow, April 02, 2020, 02:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl Chesterman

Bill, if you think that you might want to replace that door harness, it might be worth calling the people at the website below to see if they might have a harness, or the blueprints to make a harness for you, and what it would cost.

https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

Daryl Chesterman

billmorrow

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 09, 2020, 11:08:50 PM
Looks to me like the door was removed at one time, and they didn't bother to feed the loom out from the plug/s, but simply cut the wires in the centre of the gap, and joined them back after doing whatever repairs they had to do to the door.

Time for some detailed repair, so that everything in the area of most flex can move without breaking a joint.

Bruce. >:D

unlikely the door was removed since there are several wires still unbroken.. and one or more that is near the breaking point..
i finally decided what i'll do with the mess..
1. cut all the wires to the same length..
2. splice in about 2 inches of ultra flexible silicone wires at the flex point so this new non work hardened wire will bear most or all of the flex on each door opening.. from the description:  10 Gauge silicone wire - super flexible 1050 strands of 0.08 mm Tinned copper wire - Highly efficient - Super low impedance for a highly efficient connection.
High Temperature Resistant Silicone Wire.Temp: -60 degree celsius +200 degree celsius
see pix of the 14 AWG wire i also ordered along with the 10 AWG.. same stuff..
3. close the rubber wire harness cover, maybe with some bike inner tube rubber or something else that will make a water tight covering..
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG
'59 Cadillac 62 Convertible
'70 ElDorado, 98k miles, all original
'96 Fleetwood Broughm, Red, 37k miles
2 - '95 & 1 '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagons

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~

billmorrow

Quote from: Daryl Chesterman on April 09, 2020, 11:18:56 PM
Bill, if you think that you might want to replace that door harness, it might be worth calling the people at the website below to see if they might have a harness, or the blueprints to make a harness for you, and what it would cost.

https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

Daryl Chesterman
hello daryl..
thanks for the link..
very interesting web site and company..

but in this case i think i'll save the big $$ and to the repairs myself as explained above..

of course, no plan survives the first encounter with the enemy.. :-)
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG
'59 Cadillac 62 Convertible
'70 ElDorado, 98k miles, all original
'96 Fleetwood Broughm, Red, 37k miles
2 - '95 & 1 '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagons

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~