News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Steering Wheel Lock Nut

Started by TrevorK, July 23, 2020, 09:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevorK

This might be a long shot, but does anyone know the size of the nut that holds on the steering wheel? I’m having a heck of a time getting the wheel off and have now stripped the threads on the shaft so need to get a die that I can use to repair the threads, but don’t know what size to get. This is for a 1960. Anyone?
Trevor Korsrud

1960 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1963 Cadillac Convertible

Roger Zimmermann

It the threads are stripped, I would replace the steering shaft, unless the damage is just at the beginning of the shaft.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

Trevor I checked a couple of MPLs including the section with all the hardware. Nothing. The nut of course is listed as a part (section 18.0080), but no size given. So I checked a 1956 Shop Manual as I believe they share the same part. Under the specs for this item, size was not specified. All it said was "special", in lieu of the size :(  That technical information does not seem to be given. Perhaps you can check your shop manual and see if Cadillac eventually listed it's size for 1960. In the '56 manual the provision for steering gear hardware with size specifications was in Section 5 (Steering) under the header "Torque Tightness" near that chapter's conclusion. Hopefully yours does list that nut size. If it is only your starter threads on the tube, you may be able to fix them using a fine jeweler's file to at least get the nut off, (which may then "correct" any damaged threads-somewhat). If the nut is ruined I may have an extra one in parts. Clay/Lexi

Edit: The '56 Shop Manual instructs the mechanic to "stake nut to steering wheel". If that was done in your case perhaps that may explain the difficulty you have experienced in removal, should that procedure still be a process for the 1960 model year.