News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1959 radiator hose authenticity

Started by kid59, April 28, 2020, 04:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid59

Trying to determine the correct/authentic radiator hoses. After market hoses show a part number. I came across what appears to be an original with a yellow line on it. Can anyone tell me what is correct?

Thanks.

76eldo

Fusic has the correct hoses with the period part numbers on them.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

kid59

Thanks Brian but my question isn't really about a supplier. I am aware of a few places with the Cadillac part number inked onto the hose. Does anyone know if a printed part number is the original way the hoses looked or were hoses marked some other way? Just trying to make sure that the after market guys are right and that we as purests display the right part. If all we need is a radiator hose, we can still get them from NAPA at a lot less $.

Bob

fishnjim

Without a period hose catalog with pictures and a Cadillac parts invoice, I don't know where you'd find that info*.   Very few would've went back to dealer for a factory hose as they lasted longer than any warranty period.   They usually blew out on the road.   Gas stations, etc. replaced those and used whatever brand they or local parts store stocked.   Gates, Goodyear, etc. were period suppliers. 
Usually in cases like this an "unmolested" survivor is the bench mark.   

* - If someone told me they had an "authentic" radiator hose, I'd say that's mythology and move on.  Fitment is more important than "looks".   It's 2020, not 1959, so what's correct today?

kid59

FYI-The photo of the radiator hose is on an original 60 Special I have owned since 1988 with just under 18,000 miles. I bought it from the original owner. I have seen the "yellow line" version only a couple of times on very low mileage original 59's. As we as collectors restore cars to as close as we can to original condition, I am merely trying to make the current project look as correct as possible and yet have the functional integrity of a new part. Thanks for any experience others may have.