News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1977 Eldorado Convertible door compatibility

Started by castillosergio42, June 09, 2020, 05:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

castillosergio42

Aloha Everyone,

I ready the discussion on the authenticity of the 1977-78 Eldorado convertibles, I have what may be a legit 77 but my main concern is the doors are rotted and need to buy replacements. I am in Hawaii so I cant afford to make a mistake when ordering. although my convertible may not be a true convertible does this mean the 71-78 doors will fit it just as it would a 77 Coupe or Biarritz?

I would appreciate any links to strengthen whether yay or nay.

Thanks you.

Cadillac Fleetwood

The sheet metal  Eldorado door assembly will interchange among all years from 1971 through 1978, inclusive.  You will need to be mindful of the following modifications when using a coupe door on a convertible:

1.  The door glass is different, and does not interchange. You will note that on a coupe, the door glass at its trailing edge is vertical, but on a convertible, owing to its alignment with the rear quarter glass, is slanted, so be sure to save your convertible door glass.

2.  Convertible doors use a plastic stabilizer at the rear of the door, just below the belt line.  This lines up with a stainless steel shim or plate on the inside edge of the rear quarter. The two parts together are designed to reduce movement, and the noises that would be caused by excessive movement in that area, as well as to maintain appropriate spacing to prevent binding of the door latch. So be sure to save the stabilizer, to be transplanted to the replacement door.

Other differences have more to do with the year of the door.  Doors from 1971 and 1972 use different mouldings than those used on 1973 through 1978. Be sure to save your door side moulding and fasteners to transplant to the new door, if your replacement is from a '71 or '72.

Power door lock solenoids varied somewhat, in mounting configuration, and in their electrical terminals.  1971 through early 1975 used a T configuration electrical connector at the solenoid. Later 75 through 78 had both terminals parallel to one another.  Cadillac even had a jumper wire harness to use when later solenoids were used as service replacements in the earlier cars. 

On a door from a car not equipped with the PDL option, you will see "dimples" on the rear edge of the door, which will indicate where you will need to drill the holes necessary to mount the lock solenoid.

The interior door pulls often relied on reinforcement metal straps to "bridge" the access holes in the inner door skin. Some re-working may be required when using a 1974 or earlier door, on a later car.

With a door from a 1977 or 1978 Biarritz, you will need to remove the Biarritz trim and fill the holes.  With a door from a 1972, 1973, or 1974 Custom Cabriolet, you will need to remove the special  Cabriolet trim and fill the holes.

Charles Fares

P.S.  This post should probably appear in the "Technical/Authenticity" section
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"