News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1953 wheel covers / hubcaps

Started by brian faull clc#25881, May 28, 2020, 03:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian faull clc#25881

Does anyone know if Cadillac made 2 variations of the standard wheel covers in 1953. I am familiar with the ones that snap onto the clips around the center hub of the rim, but I have recently seen some for sale that look like they would hold to the inside edge of the wheel. I have attached a picture of some I saw recently for comparison. I am just interested to find out, as I have had and seen lots of 53 caps, but this is the first time Ive seen this style. And I have recently seen this style for sale from multiple sources. The style I am used to seeing are the top 2 in the photo. The bottom 2 are the other kind, which I have never seen until recently. Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject. Thanks, Brian.

brian faull clc#25881

G Pennington

Mine are like the two on top.  Pretty sure they're original.  Do you have pictures of the other sides?  They may be a different year.....
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

Cadman-iac

I was going to ask if those were the 15" full size ones. If so,  they're often referred to as a "Sombrero" cap.
The clips or retainers on the outer edge are different than what I have seen before.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

signart

Sombrero hubcaps were offered '48-'52.
'53 full caps were the "opposite" of a sombrero.
I have one or two of those strange '53 hubcaps mentioned, but are a mystery to me also.
Art D. Woody

brian faull clc#25881

Gary, I added a picture of the front side. Thanks, brian.
brian faull clc#25881

35-709

There is only one picture that I see in the Cadillac Database of the 1953 Deluxe hubcap and (to my eyes) it looks just like the one Brian pictured of the front side of his. 
Lots of discussion of the '47 to '52 hubcaps in the database however.   :)

https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/mascotsg.htm
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Dave Ventresca

the caps on top row are the best ever, cuz they can never fall off. there is a set of NOS ones like the bottom row. but they're no good. not too secure.Dave