News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

52 series 62 power steering box fittings.

Started by Omarine, July 07, 2020, 12:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omarine

Hello all,

I have a minor leak on the bottom of my power steering box. It’s coming from the pressure tube fittings.

When i look in the book, i see those pressure tubes use what looks like a banjo bolt and AN fittings. Is this correct? Anyone know the exact threads? Looks like 3/8” threads into the box and the pressure tube is 3/4” threads but i am trying to find the exact fit and wanted to ask first.

Currently my car has brass elbows going to the pressure tubes instead of the banjo type. I think that’s why they're leaking. Was going to put some teflon tape on the threads but would prefer correct fittings instead.

Thanks gentlemen, fitting pic just for reference, not exact one.

Oscar

1949 Harley Davidson FL
1952 Cadillac Coupe de Ville
1961 Chevy Impala 2 dr hardtop

G Pennington

Yes, banjo fittings.  Will try to attach pics of my '53 box (should be same as '52).  Have no idea where to get the fittings.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

Omarine

Thanks Gary, theyre easy to find on summit but there are MANY combos. Lots of chances to get it wrong which is something im good at lol.

1949 Harley Davidson FL

G Pennington

I had my box (and pump) rebuilt by Lares corp in MN.  They didn't have to replace my fittings, but they might be a source for parts.  http://www.larescorp.com/
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

Omarine

Thanks again Gary, will call to see if i can get the correct fittings from them....
1949 Harley Davidson FL

fishnjim

Probably had a hose replace job at some point. 
Parts list shows the hose end fittings on the hose, brass ell not correct.  If hose is hard/stiff, it's time to replace.
If you don't have a good local hydraulic hose maker, there are some repro out there at the usual places.   But without the correct hose, it'll be difficult to make one "right".   
I think they're std. SAE flare fittings, not AN, depends on the end, some are straight threads.   So if they put a NPT ell on a straight thread, you found source of your leak.   

Omarine

Thanks for the PDF Jim.  The lines are steel, unsure if theyre original or replacements. Gear looks to have been rebuilt, i just don't know when.

I could make rubber Hose replacements with push on barb swivel fittings rated up to 250 psi. Not sure if that’s enough.

Would rather not remove the box if possible.

So the steel line fittings are single flare? The fitting takes 3/4” wrench. They look a little different than the usual inverted flare im used to seeing...
1949 Harley Davidson FL