News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Engine Help: 1955 (thru 1962?)

Started by Brent Hladky #21519, March 15, 2020, 10:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Hladky #21519

Folks,

I recently acquired a 1941 Cadillac 60 Special.  It is powered by a 1955 Cadillac engine and transmission.  The car looks great.  A magnificent restoration inside and out, including a 1956 Cadillac air conditioning system, so I don’t want to go back to the 1941 flathead.  The problem is that the engine knocks like nobody’s business.  Other than knowing that the engine overheated excessively, I’m unable to get any information as to what might be wrong.

I am looking for input on which avenue below (or another?) to pursue in order to get it back on the road, and hopefully also vendor recommendation(s) for each.  As background, I’m in Denver, CO, and don’t have the space or, unfortunately, the knowledge to fix it myself.  Anyway, I can think of three alternatives:
1) Have the engine sent to a remanufacturer.  I’m not aware of any remanufacturers in the Denver area, and am as yet unable to find positive reviews online for an establishment that does vintage engines, so would greatly appreciate recommendation on who I should use if I choose this avenue.
2) Have the engine removed by a local shop, the required parts then sent to a machine shop here in town, then reassembled and installed by the local shop.  Local club members have experience with a good machine shop in the area, so I’m fine in that regard, but would appreciate it if anyone knows of a reliable, competent repair shop in the metro area.
3) Locate and purchase a rebuilt engine from someone else to replace the existing one.  With this alternative, I’m told that the engine and transmission mounts for 1955 will work for those through 1962 (need to keep same year engine with transmission) and the only issue could be the need for changing the driveshaft.  With this alternative, which engine year(s) are better than others in terms of reliability and ease of locating parts in the future?  Also, do any of you know anyone with a rebuilt engine (with a transmission?) from these years that is available for sale?

All input gratefully accepted.  Thank you!!

Brent Hladky

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

There are others here with much more experience.  But, as you are looking to have the work done (paying vs doing it yourself), it would probably be worth spending some $$ at a local shop to have the problem diagnosed. If you just go to a shop and say replace.the engkne, they will. But you should probably know what is going on before you commit to a course of action.
Jeff
Jeff Rose
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I've got to agree, get the problem diagnosed first, it could be something simple, like broken engine mountings and nothing wrong mechanically with the engine. Don't fix it if it ain't broke! Phil

cadman56

There is a gentleman in Elizabeth, CO who might offer some advice.  His name is Walt.  Can't remember his last name.  He writes very knowledgeable articles in each SS Called Walt's Workbench.
Are you a member of the CLC?  Denver has a very good local region.

Good luck,
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Jay Friedman

Quote from: cadman56 on March 16, 2020, 12:21:13 PM
There is a gentleman in Elizabeth, CO who might offer some advice.  His name is Walt.  Can't remember his last name.  He writes very knowledgeable articles in each SS Called Walt's Workbench.
Are you a member of the CLC?  Denver has a very good local region.

Good luck,
Larry

I think the gentleman you are referring to is John Washburn of Elizabeth, CO who currently writes the "Washburn's Wisdom" column in the Self Starter.  Walt ceased writing the column some time back. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

fishnjim

What does "knocks like nobodies business" sound like?  ticking, banging, etc?   
Is it running when it knocks, on acceleration, or idling?   Most likely, could be just a bent pushrod.   I'd start by removing the valve covers and inspect and watch what's happening.   And a compression test to see if internal issues.   Clean fuel system and put fresh gas in it.   If you can't do that, then see last below.
If you want reliable and up to date then a LS style motor is best.   But you have to set your budget for this too.   
Remans usually only do the short block.  May not get yours back unless you specify up front.   Someone else would have to pull, disassemble and reassemble, if you can not.   
In your case, I'd look for a good resto shop in your area.   3X the money, time is not good, but no headaches on your end so long as the wallet is fat.   Otherwise, sell it, as is, and move on.   These are the things one checks BEFORE one buys.   

Check the fore sale parts here or in Hemmings for current motors.   There have been some but I don't keep up.

Caddy Wizard

IMO, the best option is to find a good shop that works on old cars and have the existing engine rebuilt.  Typically, once the engine is removed, they will send the engine to an engine shop for the overhaul (especially the machining).  Make sure that the engine shop is familiar with the Cad engine, as there are some peculiarities to it (like the orientation of the rocker shafts being crucial to proper oiling of the valve train).

55 is a great engine and will give smooth power for many years to come after the rebuild.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under cosmetic resto)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1949 S6107 Fastback Coupe -- soon to be back home with me...

35-709

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Brent Hladky #21519

As always, thanks so much for the input!  I'll get the car into a shop as fast as I can.  Think I'm close to having a quality shop selected.

Hopefully it's not too difficult or expensive of a fix.  I got it from an old friend, so it has a lot of sentimental value as well and I was aware of the engine problem.  Getting it back on the road is a must.  Cadillacs are such a wonderful disease... so much better than Covid-19!!

I'll keep you posted and, again, thanks for the help.

Brent Hladky #21519

Thanks again for the input.  Always appreciated.  Just a quick update...  The engine has been rebuilt.  Apparently, whomever did previous machining, didn't do things very well, but I'm hopeful that all is now well on that front.  A handful of "kinks" have popped up (car hadn't run in almost 10 years) so I'm now trying to get them sorted out, and hopefully sooner rather than later.  I'll start a new thread for those, if needed.  Thought I'd attach a couple photos of the car.  Can't wait to have everything working as it should!

A bit of an adjustment in getting used to manual steering and brakes, but I'll get there.

Regards, Brent

Brent Hladky #21519

Sorry, forgot to add engine photo...

Bob Schuman

Brent,
I'm pretty sure John Washburn in Elizabeth, CO. has knowledge of this car and may be know much more about whatever happened to the engine. I rode in it at the 1986 CLC Grand National in Fort Worth,  and you have a very nice car. Save the engine if possible.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5